Notices

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2008, 06:47 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

Well i will try to explain this in as much detail as possible without confusing myself/ people reading it.

I will start by saying over the last two days i randomly has the loss of my interior light, c/locking/ radio headunit.
The car has a sigma m34 wired in so when using the fob the alarm would go straight off. The alarm is situated under the glove box and is a sea of wires even got some wires that are no longer connected but was working fine before the problems arose.

Fixed this by changing the 15 amp fuse in the under bonnet fuse box.

Yesterday this happened again late at night in the dark so i left replacing the fuse untill this afternoon. So i got outside this afternoon and while changing the fuse again i gt a massive sparking and the fuse blew instantly. I then grabbed another fuse and put that in jumped in the car after i had shut the bonnet to notice a load of smoke coming from behind the dash!
In a panick i managed to dicsconnect the battery in time and the smoke settled - plastic smelling. I started to investigate it ripped head unit out etc and found that the positive wire had melted somehow and melted a bit of the wiring going to the clock.

Still now with the locking working and the interior light working the fuse in under the bonnet i started it up then as i went to turn it off i realised it wouldnt turn off. After a bit of thinking i pulled the fuse out of the engine the same one that kept blowing and the car now starts and turns off but with some weird symptoms. On the first turn on the ignition the doors lock and the interior lights will come on but as soon as i turn it off this all goes again so darkness and no central locking means no alarm working.

A bit of info on the stereo ive got a sony connected using a wiring harness however the unit wouldnt power up t so i by passed the harness with the live directly to the live input on the sony. Been working fine for a year so coultdnt of been dodgey?. I am also using the amp output on the head-unit to act as a light supply for my warner boost gauge this seemed fine no signs of any burning.

Any one have any ideas as im now stuck to what to do bar taking it somewhere to have a look. Hope this makes sense as its a bit confusing to explain it properly.

Thanks
Old 12 January 2008, 12:54 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

No electrical techies seen this yet then?
Looks like it going to cost a packet to fix
Old 12 January 2008, 04:30 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

Hi, im no eletrical techie, but i can advise you on one thing. take the head unit out and check all the wiring is correct and has eletrical tape where required. any damaged or burnouts, just replace them. once the stereo side of thing is sorted. i would check all the wiring for the alarm system. it may be a maze of wires but its worth doing. if you have the possibility of temporary removing the alarm and then test to see if any of the fuses die or not. and if they dont. it may be possible that the alarm unit may be shorting out some where. i.e on the board of the alarm.

i had a similar problem however it turned out to be a dodgey connector on my left hand head light which was causing a short and blowing fueses up. i hope that helps you. otherwise i would suggest taking your car to a car eletrician or someone knows about your alarm.

regards

kaif