Notices

heaters not working?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2008, 06:20 PM
bigmac1531
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heaters not working?

i've just had my uk turbo into a garage to have the oil pump sorted out, the bolts holding it in place had apparently worked loose causing a leak. i've just driven home and i noticed that when i was stationary the heat from the heaters disappeared and when i revved it the heat slowly came back but i had to hold the revs there for a bit for this to happen. obviously when stationary thats when you need the heat to get out from the engine bay. could the garage have over tightened a pulley or something. it cost me £300 to get the oil pump done and it was perfectly fine before they had apparently fixed it. does anyone think this sounds like thier fault or could it be a complete coincidence?
thanks in advance
Old 11 January 2008, 06:30 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigmac1531
i've just had my uk turbo into a garage to have the oil pump sorted out, the bolts holding it in place had apparently worked loose causing a leak. i've just driven home and i noticed that when i was stationary the heat from the heaters disappeared and when i revved it the heat slowly came back but i had to hold the revs there for a bit for this to happen. obviously when stationary thats when you need the heat to get out from the engine bay. could the garage have over tightened a pulley or something. it cost me £300 to get the oil pump done and it was perfectly fine before they had apparently fixed it. does anyone think this sounds like thier fault or could it be a complete coincidence?
thanks in advance
by disappearing i take it you mean the fan still blows but it is just cold air?

if so i would say there is an air lock in the system.
Old 11 January 2008, 07:01 PM
bigmac1531
Scooby Regular

yeh the fans still blow but cold air comes out. i can understand what you mean about an air lock in the system, but surely if they just re-fitted the oil pump how could there be an air lock in the cooling system i.e water?
Old 11 January 2008, 07:03 PM
bigmac1531
Scooby Regular

i've just read that back to myself and it sounds as if i'm being arrogant, i'm not it's just this whole thing is confusing me thats all johnny
Old 11 January 2008, 07:31 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

It may be theyve removed the radiator to get access to the pump. This would mean a draindown of the cooling system. It does sound like an air lock.

Release the header tank cap carefully if its hot. Run the engine with the heaters on max giving the top and bottom hoses a squeeze every now and again. Do this for around 30 mins also keeping the header tank topped up with coolant.
Old 11 January 2008, 07:35 PM
bigmac1531
Scooby Regular

cheers people. i'll give it a go in a bit and let you know how i get on. thanks again
Old 11 January 2008, 10:03 PM
bigmac1531
Scooby Regular

Smile

all sorted. it must have had quite a big air lock. i took the cap off and i couldn't see any coolant so they obviously hadn't done it properly. they'll be getting a phone call in the morning cheers johnny and turbotits for your help. i've still got a bit to learn about these cars lol