Is this compressor surge

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2008, 05:39 PM
stotty1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this compressor surge

All

i have a Sti 8 with a K&N typhoon , uprated fuel pump , full decat and Remap when i am on low boost and changing gear you can hear a really loud flutter, think its from the typhoon is this compressor surge or just the air intake etc ?

also when in say 4th 5th or 6th gear at 3k revs and i floor it seems as the car isnt smooth on the power it judders slightly untill you are above 4k anyone experienced this .

thanks

chris
Old 10 January 2008, 05:53 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the correct dignosis. Mine does summin similiar but had the worst of it mapped out
Old 10 January 2008, 06:34 PM
***Jonesy***
Scooby Regular

Yeah I had similar thing happen on my classic after I fitted the induction kit. Andy managed to map out most of the low rev judders

As for the flutter, is it not just the standard DV been amplified by the induction kit?
Old 10 January 2008, 06:38 PM
stotty1
Scooby Regular

As for the flutter, is it not just the standard DV been amplified by the induction kit?[/QUOTE]

thanks for the replies

Not sure if it is mate, really is loud seems to be coming back from the induction
Old 10 January 2008, 07:27 PM
***Jonesy***
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stotty1
As for the flutter, is it not just the standard DV been amplified by the induction kit?
thanks for the replies

Not sure if it is mate, really is loud seems to be coming back from the induction[/QUOTE]

Im not 100% sure what you mean by 'flutter', but after I fitted mine it sounded like I had an after market dump valve fitted, something I wasn't too happy about, but Im almost used to it now. If thats what you mean then yeah its the standard DV amplified thru the IC
Old 10 January 2008, 07:32 PM
stotty1
Scooby Regular

difficult to describe mate but its a loud chattering/fluttering noise only comes on at very low boost not on high boost. sounds nice but i am slightly worried about compressor surge as that can not be good for your car at all .
Old 15 January 2008, 08:08 PM
blueburble
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Compressor Surge been trying to dial this out on the MAP for some time, getting better but sodding long process You will find by changing down gear you can learn to drive the car round the problem, not the best solution i know, i run an Autronics ECU, Garratt Hybrid Turbo and K&N Typhoon adapted for a Classic and we are convinced the problem arises from the Typhoon not supplying sufficient air at the specific time [when flooring it in 4th or 5th] turbo is spooling faster than the typhoon can supply the air, i reckon if you feed the power in slower it doesnt happhen?? it is def compressor surge, sounds nice but very annoying and will **** ya turbo unless it is strong ie Garratt core or something like, ain't got the answers yet but working on it
Old 15 January 2008, 08:14 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

could the flutter be the waste gate you can hear.you can only hear it open when you fit an induction kit.
Old 15 January 2008, 09:11 PM
mcphilimey
Scooby Regular

I have a similar noise from mine, getting a bit worried if it can **** your turbo! mines like a flutter but only happens if you are accelarating and then back off the throttle but fully so the DV opens. Is that surge?