Notices

My StopTech nightmare - The end!

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2007, 10:00 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink My StopTech nightmare - The end!

Well, after over 3 long years of problems, much green stuff spent (£200 plus), i finally have a quiet braking system again! lol.
Oh i forgot to mention it took one man with brains 1 hour to sort out!
For these years i have always had a loud clicking noise coming from my brakes. How do i know it was the brakes? Well, the noise stopped temporarily after i paid out for new mounting bolts and washers for the discs and bells.
Then it came back and has been back for the last few years.
After some top email support from StopTech, i finally make the trip to a recommended supplier in Milton Keynes, Ji_kan Motorsport and their top man Dan.
Now a long story short here, although bemused as to why it made the noise, after a quick blast of both discs in the lathe, the problem was sorted.It is hard to put into words and even harder for me to see how it caused it but on the back of the discs on the diameter near the centre of the discs was a rusty ridge. Now this ridge must have been the discs original size and so was always there (if you see what i mean).Yet this ridge was very very slightly rubbing on something, and only when on steering lock! So the castor of the wheels must have had a part to play in this. Anyway Dan just took a bit off that rusty ridge and that sorted it. So my thanks to Dan for that, and I am glad (NOT) a certain company in Keyworth enjoyed the money they took off me for doing sweet FA two years back. I hope you spent the £200 wisely. I shall now go out and enjoy a quiet drive around a car park somewhere! LOL. The only thing that is still w**k about my brakes is the paint coming off one caliper so i guess i am stuffed there. Can anyone recommend me a good high temp paint that would be suitable for painting a caliper please?
Old 03 November 2007, 10:16 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I am glad that it's finally sorted. And I hope you can enjoy the brakes as they are supposed to be.

Paul
Old 03 November 2007, 09:34 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,
I'm really glad you've finally git this sorted, I know how pi55eed off you've been..

So it wasn't the WRX hubs after all, lol..!

It's a pity about the paint however, especially as it includes most of the Stoptech logo..! Have you Q'd stoptech about this..?

J
Old 03 November 2007, 09:44 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Cheers jasonius. No the hubs are fine! lol
The paint is really b0rked now. The whole logo has come off so nearly the whole caliper side is uncovered. The guys who sorted it out for me are actually gonna report back to StopTech with their findings and will ask about a possible sticker for me so hopefully i can at least paint it and cover it somehow. As regards the coating coming off, it is not normal, they accept it should not have done, but basically there is nothing that can be done as the products are not warranteed for the age mine are (so to speak).
I bought them in 2004 after all. Now i have had the car washed by many a jet wash, so i feel the problem lies in me having them far too fiercely cleaned by the jet wash. That is what i think may have done it.
Dan had his own opinion in that it is possible the coating was just slightly cracked maybe after opening or fitting and so the weakness was there and what with the heat, etc, of the past 3 years, maybe it has just allowed the coating to crack apart. After all, the other side is in good condition.
Now i have one lovely red StopTech caliper and logo, and one black looking plain metal caliper. Oops! Never mind i will just have to try to find a good high temp metal paint somewhere.
Or buy some of the Ksports, hmm, now there is a plan if they goto group buy.