Notices

How can I reduce the boost level?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2007, 06:10 PM
redfish0
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I reduce the boost level?

Hi,

I have a td04l on a honda civic coupe but it's boosting to about 10-12psi. (Is that standard for a wrx?) I only really want to have 7 psi though. So far, I've tried adjusting the actuator arm as far as it goes without the wastegate being always open but it still goes to 10-12 psi.

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the boost to 6-7psi? E.g. is there an actuator from another car that I could bolt on instead or some other device that will do the job? Or is my only option to take a 7psi actuator from another car and make up an arm with the correct end to connect to the wastegate?

Thanks.
Old 23 October 2007, 07:40 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Why not just fit a boost controller. I have a Blitz on mine and I can turn the boost down to 0.5 bar which is roughly 6-7 psi
Old 23 October 2007, 07:58 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

How is it connected up? (The boost control pipes I mean)
If you have a pipe, direct from the compressor housing to the actuator and it is producing 10-12 psi, you are going to need a softer / weaker actuator.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:17 PM
redfish0
Scooby Newbie

I thought that a boost controller would stop the actuator operating at it's normal point and allow it to open when theres even more boost that it would normally operate at. I didnt think it would do the reverse and open when theres less boost than whats needed to operate the actuator.

There is indeed a pipe from the compressor housing to the actuator fuzz. I have a scrap astra diesel which used to run at 7 psi so I've just been out ripping that off to see if it's pretty much the same. It's not though. I can see I'll have to do some bodging to get it on there.

Is the arm made of mild or stainless steel? If it is, I could get the astra one mounted, chop the arms in half and weld the scooby end of the arm to the astra's actuator arm so it fits properly.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:20 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

mild steel is weldable to stainless yes

Boost controller wont help you, as you rightly thought.

Andy
Old 23 October 2007, 08:24 PM
redfish0
Scooby Newbie

Sorry, I wasnt asking if you can weld stainless to mild. I mean't that the arms didnt feel like mild or stainless steel. But I'll just tack the astra one before chopping anything to make sure.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:28 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Ah ok, I think the standard acuator is just nickel plated mild steel. Never really took much notice tbh.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:54 PM
redfish0
Scooby Newbie

ah-hah. The plot thickens. I might have discovered something. I just got the actuator off. I tried a foot pump on the astra one and it operates at about 9psi (probably inaccurate guage). Most importantly, theres no air leaks.

I tried the td04 one and air just blows right through it and comes out where the arm is . Hell, I can even breath through it, not that it's advisable . Sounds like its knackered to me. Or am I wrong and it's supposed to be like that?

If it is knackered, what psi do standard td04 actuators open the wastegate at?

Thanks.