Notices

What are the issues in swapping ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 03:29 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the issues in swapping ECU

Hi this may have been answered in previous postsbut i have been unable to find any. Is it possible to swap a later spec ECU from say a my99 car into a MY97/98 impreza, i understand the MAP sensor might need changing to a MAF sensor, but what are the other implications apart from pinout on the actual connectors.
Old 12 September 2007, 03:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

won't fit, won't work.. I presume you are wanting to change to a mappable ecu? like the 99 is... easiest way forward is to go to an after market ecu like Apexi, Link etc.. for the 97/98.

The plugs are different, the idle valves different (one a valve the other a stepper motor) the injectors are different sizes, the heads are different causing the maps to be different as valves are different sizes, cams different, the 99 engine is quieter so would pick up lots of knock correction running on a 98 engine etc.. etc..

Simon
Old 12 September 2007, 04:00 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Yes i would like to gain a bit more power, i don't want and can't afford a mega power hike, I am not sure what other mods are needed to keep the motor in one piece on top of a sports cat DP, decat centre section and panel filter. I was also looking to possibly improve the induction with a few mods, maybe hose's and larger TMIC. i thought the only way to ensure safety was a remap of ecu, which MY98 can't do, I presumed that i would have issues with the inbuilt imobiliser etc.

Cheers

Last edited by Tazz Kill Er; 12 September 2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12 September 2007, 04:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

you would have immobiliser issues but that would be the least of your worries imho..

just fit an after market mappable ecu like Apexi..

£800 fitted and mapped.. by the time you have bought a 99 ecu and the loom, spent time rewiring and then change various bits in the enginebay to get it to work and then pay for it to mapped it would exceed £800 anyway.

Simon
Old 12 September 2007, 05:09 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

800 fitted and mapped,is that all in with vat included?where are you based simon
Old 12 September 2007, 06:31 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

all in.. south east but travel for the price of fuel
Old 12 September 2007, 06:33 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
you would have immobiliser issues but that would be the least of your worries imho..

just fit an after market mappable ecu like Apexi..

£800 fitted and mapped.. by the time you have bought a 99 ecu and the loom, spent time rewiring and then change various bits in the enginebay to get it to work and then pay for it to mapped it would exceed £800 anyway.

Simon
Hi Simon,

I guess you get this sort of question all the time, my knowledge is more of engineering, would there be any other components to install with the apexi, people mention other parts when modifying scoobies like boost clamps, fuel cut defenders, knock link and 3port solenoid, i just get lost in all the different bits and pieces.

Cheers

Daz
Old 12 September 2007, 07:23 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

the only additional item whcih MIGHT be needed when fitting and mapping an Apexi to a 97/98 is a 3port boost solenoid.. I usually try on the original 2port and if boost control is not spot on or unable to reach the desired boost level then I fit a 3port whcih is £50 fitted. Which reminds me I need to get some.

obviously other mods which are of benefit being fuel pump, decat, air filter etc.. just depends on your budget and what you want from the car.

fuel cut defender is not needed, knock link is not essential as the Apexi flashes the engine light should knock be detected - you can never have too much safety though so a knock link is still a niceaty but not essential.

email me a phone number and I'll ring you to discuss if you like.

Simon @ JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Thanks
Simon