What should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2007, 10:48 AM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i do?

Hi Guys

I'm new to the scoobie world and have been using this site nearly every day since i joined it a week or two ago so thanks for that. I have just bought a MY00 STIVI and it is a great low mileage example.

My question is the following:

I'm running the car on 99RON from tesco's at the moment (go on tesco's with the high octane) and the car is 100% original with no mods. Just ordered a load of service parts from "scoobyworld" filters etc.. with NGK irridiums rated at "7" on a 6-8 scale?? Millers and Redline Oils on their way too.

My mate is running an EVO2 and fitted an Apexi PowerFC for complete engine management. Should i be looking to do the same on my Scoob because of the 100RON thing and Japan etc? Rather that than octane booster at fill-ups right?

Would love to keep the car as original as possible with only the necessary mods where needed. Rather spend some money now than fork out for a rebuild down the line!

What would you all suggest?

-A
Old 29 August 2007, 10:58 AM
Scooby Senior

Don't know where you are based to recommend a mapper, but on that car you can get an ECUtec remap on the OE ecu.

I would recommend a new MAF sensor from subaru or Mark at Lateral, they are circa 85 + vat and are pretty much a service Item as they regularly fail on the 99/00 cars

To get the most out of the re-map go for a full de-cat and a panel filter and you should see circa 320 BHP.

go for a Whiteline adj anti roll bar and solid droplinks for the rear, an anti-lift kit for the front and have the prodrive suspension settings dialed in by a good digital 4-wheel alignment centre to combat the understeer and you will have a great car

enjoy and welcome to scoobynet

Adam
Old 29 August 2007, 11:24 AM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Thanks Adam, sounds like a plan

As for exhaust systems i've been thinking about a new full system but with decat in mind and MOT testing etc what's the best way to go? In my experience especially with my old golf GTI, once the exhaust is off, it's a pain to get back on (out with the blowtorch and gungum ha ha) what do the rest of you guys do?

Also recommendations for exhaust systems ? don't want to lossen my fillings, i hate anything to do with teeth, i love the STI system that's on there at the moment, makes the right noises when pressed you now but i'm aware that it's cat equiped. Terminator block for cat fire sensor needed with de-cat system????? not sure!

Also with th ECU tek remap, if i make a change to the config after remap am i looking at another remap, hence engine management APFC?

Thanks for your help mate

-A
Old 29 August 2007, 01:20 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you would be looking at another remap if you altered the spec but then you would with the APFC anyway.

As you are doing the plugs and an oil change.. remove plugs, change the oil (fill the oil filter and let it soak in and then fill it again etc before fitting) and crank it with crank sensor disconnected and spark plugs out to get oil pressure up (oil light out) then fit the plugs..
They are prone to doing big end bearings if oil supply is interrupted at all.

7s are fine.. check the gap is 0.7mm.

if you like the current exhaust noise then just replace the downpipe which contains the only cat on the Sti.. no need for cat fire sensor concern on that year. It will be louder but not too bad.. exhaust wrapping it will reduce cabin noise and is a good move anyway.

Easy way to sort mot is to buy a UK centre section if you can which contains the cat (it is only a resonator on your car) and then swap that in which is a 10minute job for mot.

Simon
Old 29 August 2007, 02:12 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Geat stuff, thanks chaps. Always good to hear from someone who's already done it.

much appreciated

-A