Notices

HOW MUCH TO USE

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2007, 07:49 PM
marklou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW MUCH TO USE

did an oil change on my94 turbo as i usally do, pre filled the oil filter and used 4.5 litres job done,but when i checked the dip stick a couple of days later it was showing just below the empty maker.
so thinking i must a have a oil leak somewhere i filled up with the other half litre (making it 5 litres total )then it went right to full level.(a bit more than i usally fill upto i usually fill to 3/4 full)
then i checked for any leaks but i couldnt find any signs of oil leaks anywhere so has anyone any ideas why it was showing so low when i put 4.5 litres in.
1 week later still showing full level.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:38 AM
scooby101
Scooby Regular

Could be due to the fact that when you do an oil change, when you put the oil in at cold the oil doesn't cover everything/get into all the nooks and crannys lol. So when you run it warm it coats everything, and may use a little extra oil up. Although i wouldn't of thought it would have used enough to go from the hi to low level markings. Don't know a great deal about the impreza engines, but this is something i have been told happens on most engines. Hope this helps, if it's wrong i hope someone can correct me.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:48 AM
scooby101
Scooby Regular

Also have you checked for any signs of an oil leak, oil aroun the sump, oil patch on drive way etc.?
Old 23 August 2007, 08:36 PM
marklou
Scooby Regular

thanks for reply, i have done the usual checks for an oil leak no smelly oil burning on any hot pipes etc, and no signs of any oil on the drive.
really weird this one cant understand it ive always put 4.5 litres in the past and its been fine.
dont know if it makes any difference but my drive is on a slope so i had to drive off the drive then i drove round the block and then finally i checked the oil level.(and thats when i got the reading of empty)