Notices

ECU RESET ?? CAN THIS DAMAGE MY SCOOB???

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2007, 03:37 PM
Simonz,
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU RESET ?? CAN THIS DAMAGE MY SCOOB???

hi i performed an ecu reset as desribed ...

pedal down fully for second, then halfway for 2seconds then tried to start car......no joy,....

tried again onli this time left foot on accelerater maybe longer than i should of and a slight pop/backfire sound came from exhaust, it wasnt loud but was loud enuff to hear n loud enuff to almost bring a slight tear to the eye and ****e my pants with worry,....

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DAMAGE CAR WHILST PERFORMING AN ECU RESET EVEN IF IM NOT EVEN TURNING THE ENGINE OVER????

any help will be gratley appretiated!!!!!
Old 20 August 2007, 03:41 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't have thought so.
What was the reason for you resting the ecu?

edit
Just saw your other thread speak to Scott T at PolarPerformance as he knows about them.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 20 August 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 20 August 2007, 03:45 PM
Simonz,
Scooby Regular

i had just solderd in the socket on the board of the ecu and fitted the infamous scoobyecu chip.......thanks
Old 20 August 2007, 04:35 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Erm, if the engine wasn't on (which it should not be at that point of resetting the ECU, then there is no way that you could have got a backfire out of the exhaust. Unless engines have changed since I was a lad . Doesn't sound like you are having much luck in general based on this thread and your other one.
Old 20 August 2007, 04:45 PM
Simonz,
Scooby Regular

hi footlong,....yeah lol not much luck at all,...... if youve ever performed an ecu reset if you keep you foot on the accelerater theres a noise almost like an air con system starting up and it gets louder and stronger the longer you leave your foot on the pedal,.......there was a puff/low pop sound come from the back of the car,.......ok so maybe not a backfire but there defo was a sound coming from the rear of my car
Old 20 August 2007, 04:52 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I have done ecu resets before mate on all my classics and I have to say that I have never had that same experience as you. You get the cooling fans kicking in etc but not what you are describing if memory serves.

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | ECU Reset browse

You could always do the other way which is leaving the batt disconnected for a while.
Old 20 August 2007, 04:55 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

TBH, if you've just put the chip in, that's probably the culprit. Time to go back and check your solder joints, that's where I'd start....
Old 20 August 2007, 04:58 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedScoob
TBH, if you've just put the chip in, that's probably the culprit. Time to go back and check your solder joints, that's where I'd start....
I have to be honest and say that it would also be my first port of call from that other thread.
Old 20 August 2007, 04:59 PM
Scooby Senior

the chip is 100% in the right way isn't it?
Old 20 August 2007, 06:12 PM
tteeccttoonn
Scooby Newbie

A few of things to check are -

Like 500 said, is the new chip in the correct way around? Check by looking at the outline on the PCB and not your socket (Just incase you put the socket in the wrong way around!).

Also check that all the pins of the new chip are in the socket correctly. Sometimes one or more can bend under the chip when inserting.

Lastly, look for solder bridges and dry joints! A bridge is where a wisker of solder has bridged across pins or tracks and a dry is where the solder hasn't taken to the pin correctly!

Hope you gat it sorted soon mate.
Old 20 August 2007, 07:23 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Have commented on other thread.
Old 20 August 2007, 09:47 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

I have also done a number of ECU resets in the way you describe- foot all way down then halfway up then started the engine and gone for a drive round the block until the engine light flashes to signal a successful reset but while you do the foot to the floor thing the engine is not running so there is NO possible way it would pop and bang, you can press the accelerater all day with the engine off and nothing will happen, sounds like something to do with the chip

Also while performing the reset i have never heard the nosies your describing, when you connect the black connectors it just puts it in to diaognostic mode, to do the reset you also have to connect the green connectors and this will do a simple diogostic circuit testing the solinoid (clicking noise) then the main cooling fan (fan spinning noise) then a couple of other things, thats all i hear, never anything from the exhaust,

Dave M
Old 21 August 2007, 07:22 AM
Simonz,
Scooby Regular

thanks, yup 100% in the right way,......ive sent the whole ecu with the chip to the guy i got the chip off and hes sorting it for me,..... as long as theres no way i cud of damaged ANYTHING in the ECU RESET il be a half happy bloke,........ even if i have to buy another ecu.... anyone got a cheapo one for sale lol? this all seems like its gunna cost me more pennys than i budgeted for