Notices

MY05 STI Turbo noise when cold

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 04:49 PM
pog240
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 STI Turbo noise when cold

When cold and under load so the turbo kicks in, I can hear a noise as if air is being directed elsewhere, turbulant if that makes sense!?

When the car is hot this goes off only to return when its been stood for a few minutes.

Its never done this before. The only modification is the up-pipe to the turbo, the lower gasket from the manifold blew last week which caused it to make a terrible noise.

I changed this and cured that only to hear this latest wierd sound.

I am thinking that its either a cracked up pipe or another gasket at the turbo, but it doesnt sound like its on the exhaust side, more the pressurised inlet side.

Could the turbo be sucking in air from the exhaust side through a small gap/crack that closes when it gets hot and expands?

At cold start up I can smell a small amount of exhaust gas under the bonnet.

Any ideas would be appreciated before I take it apart an find I dont have the gasket or part I need.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 19 August 2007, 06:16 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds very like the up-pipe, especially the smell of exhaust at start up and the problem going away when warm.
What make is the pipe? Rather than a gasket, it could be the flange faces aren't flat.
Nick
Old 20 August 2007, 02:26 PM
pog240
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the whole problem, I bought a header kit, it was a poor fit and hit the front sub frame and damaged the undertray so I took off the manifold leaving the more hard to remove up-pipe.
Guess I will bite the bullet and put the original back on, its just such a pain of a job.
Thanks for your input, I am glad someone thinks the same as me.

Paul