Notices

PROBLEMS WITH MY FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2007, 09:41 AM
saxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEMS WITH MY FMIC

hi i have a 1994 wrx turbo. i installed a front mount intercooler on my vehicle and now its not even boosting properly.

i can hear the engine drawing in alot of air when i put my foot down but its just not moving.

the only one thing that iv had to change, is that there's a little vacuum outlet that sits ontop of the throttle. a pipe goes into this from the air pressure sensor solenoid located just to the left of the boost solenoid valve. After i put on the fmic, i lost vacuum at this outlet causing the check engine light to throw out error code 45 (air pressure sensor)...

so what i did was pull that vacuum house off from that outlet and put some tape over it. i chopped a vacuum hose on the inlet manifold and put a T shaped piece in there and put onto it the vacuum hose coming from that air pressure sensor. This resulted in the engine check light to turn off immediately.

im not sure what iv done is right but the car aint runnin right

somebody said to me that the reason theres no vacuum at that outlet on the throttle is that i might have a leak in my fmic pipework.

sorry for the essay but i dont know how else to explain... any views on this would be appreciated
Old 18 August 2007, 10:09 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

sounds like a pipe has come off mate, check them all again and have a closer look, it only needs to be a small gap for the air to get in and it will cause you issues
Old 18 August 2007, 11:16 AM
saxx
Scooby Regular

yep thatz what a few people have said.

will i definately need an ecu a re-map?
Old 19 August 2007, 02:02 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

I don't think you will need a reamp for just a fmic, but you will get the best out of it by having it done, but i dont think it is critically nessessary. If you are looking at getting a remap then get all the mods that you want to do done first
Old 19 August 2007, 02:59 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FMIC will make the air colder and as such denser which will probably run the car a little leaner than the top mount, however at standard boost levels it should not be a huge problem to run it wihout a map.

In my experience if the car is boosting in an odd manner or spool is massively late then its usually an air leak, I think many people mistake the symptoms of an air leak with the extra lag that front mounts cause, front mounts will not cause a huge amount of lag, and they certainly should not make spool up noticably later, as many on here have already commented the volume of air in the intercooler is quite low compared to what the engine is using every second when on full throttle.