Notices

DEAD TURBO!!!! OR MORE SERIOUS PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2007, 07:15 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD TURBO!!!! OR MORE SERIOUS PLEASE HELP

have i killed my turbo or is it more serious it all started the other week when my mate (a scooby owner) had a drive in my car and decided to change the setting on the apexi avcr when he returned car wouldnt idle and was running like poo he then admitted fiddling with avcr so checked pipes and hoses to find it had blown out the hose that fits in the rear of the big rubber air intake hose from maf to turbo. Fitted it back in and car was ok but then realised when turbo was kicking in there was a very loud whine/whistle so checked all hoses again found nothing wrong.I kept on using car and a couple of days later the car was noticeably slower and was still whineing, then i noticed when coming off boost a puff of smoke from under bonnet coming from air filter and now when changing gear i get smoke from exhaust is this something more serious than? i thought i would ask on here first rather than rushing out and buying a new turbo any advice would be appreciatted
Old 15 August 2007, 08:11 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tommowrx
have i killed my turbo or is it more serious it all started the other week when my mate (a scooby owner) had a drive in my car and decided to change the setting on the apexi avcr when he returned car wouldnt idle and was running like poo he then admitted fiddling with avcr so checked pipes and hoses to find it had blown out the hose that fits in the rear of the big rubber air intake hose from maf to turbo. Fitted it back in and car was ok but then realised when turbo was kicking in there was a very loud whine/whistle so checked all hoses again found nothing wrong.I kept on using car and a couple of days later the car was noticeably slower and was still whineing, then i noticed when coming off boost a puff of smoke from under bonnet coming from air filter and now when changing gear i get smoke from exhaust is this something more serious than? i thought i would ask on here first rather than rushing out and buying a new turbo any advice would be appreciatted
if it had blown a pipe off it would be sucking in dirty air,before getting a new turbo i would get a compression test done to make sure all cylinders are ok
it might even be worth resetting the ecu as it was taking in unmetered air and this would confuse the maf and fuelling would of been all over the show
Old 15 August 2007, 08:59 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
if it had blown a pipe off it would be sucking in dirty air,before getting a new turbo i would get a compression test done to make sure all cylinders are ok
it might even be worth resetting the ecu as it was taking in unmetered air and this would confuse the maf and fuelling would of been all over the show
how would i go about resetting ecu as im running an apexi ecu
Old 16 August 2007, 06:28 AM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

at first look it looks like pipes still. i have a front mount intercooler and the clips i got arent strong enough. when a pipe is about to go then you get the whining noise but havent notticed any smoke. when a pipe does fall off then i do get some smoke from both exhasut and turbo areas. but car cuts out soon as the pipe falls off. i have got some new clamps but not fitted them yet, waiting for weekend.

i would check all of your pips speshalling the intercooler hosing and through to turbo. you may have caused alot more pressure mucking around and blown a hose off slightly. or in worse case split the hose.

that is just at first look but the car is acting how mine does when a pipe is loose.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:12 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

i have had most of pipes checked and refitted but it just seems to be getting worse
Old 16 August 2007, 05:24 PM
Scooby Senior

pick up a compression tester from a local motor factors or halfords and do a test then report back on your findings.
Old 16 August 2007, 06:33 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

ok i will do that then report back my findings

Trending Topics

Old 16 August 2007, 08:50 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

What you are saying would suggest possible the turbo is at fault if you’re sure all the pipe work is correct. Check for end float on the compressor wheel and make sure it is not damaged or touching the compressor housing it’s self. The smoke on gear change would also suggest oil being pulled pass the seals, also check the waste gate is all correct.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the pipe being of for a short period assuming it was not sucking up dirt from the road it should be fine.
Old 16 August 2007, 11:50 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for that im not too hot on turbos so how do i go about checking those out can this be done without removal of turbo???
Old 17 August 2007, 04:43 PM
tommowrx
Scooby Regular

went out this morning to go over all hoses and pipes AGAIN!!!! started car it ran for about 5 seconds and cut out went to restart it and it just made a whiring noise like the cambelt had snapped but was still faintly popping and a little smoke from exhaust so obviously not cam belt more like dead piston, am i right?
Old 17 August 2007, 08:00 PM
Scooby Senior

a compression test will tell you