Notices

too loud

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 06:15 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too loud

got a full decat on my 94uk wagon but its a bit to loud so was thinking of putting the standard centre back on to try and reduce the noise a bit.
question is does anyone know if the centre is a cat or a resonator on the early classics,as there seems to be 50% saying resonator and 50% saying its a cat.
Old 14 August 2007, 07:36 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mac12
got a full decat on my 94uk wagon but its a bit to loud so was thinking of putting the standard centre back on to try and reduce the noise a bit.
question is does anyone know if the centre is a cat or a resonator on the early classics,as there seems to be 50% saying resonator and 50% saying its a cat.
Original UK cars had a cat in the downpipe and another one in the centre pipe, JDM cars only had the downpipe one IIRC. My 94 wagon certainly had both (for a short while anyway), like you say, they are pretty noisey if you are doing long journeys in them and they are fully decatted.

Had a double take when I looked at YOUR SCOOBY as I thought for a second you had my old one
Old 14 August 2007, 07:52 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

cheers Iain i love the noise it makes on a/b roads but as soon as you get on the motorway its a bit annoying. (i was on the motorway the other day and my 2 year old had his fingers in his ears).
wonder if it will pass an mot with the one centre cat in place and the downpipe still removed.
not sure if it will make it any quieter then if its a cat and not a resonator.
Old 14 August 2007, 10:24 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mac12
cheers Iain i love the noise it makes on a/b roads but as soon as you get on the motorway its a bit annoying. (i was on the motorway the other day and my 2 year old had his fingers in his ears).
wonder if it will pass an mot with the one centre cat in place and the downpipe still removed.
not sure if it will make it any quieter then if its a cat and not a resonator.
I refitted a centre to mine when it was fully decatted and it very, very, very nearly passed. Was annoyed and we built a twin centre cat for it (and a few others in the area). Was only then that we realised that the centre we'd put on came from an STi... ie it was a straight thru' pipe that looked a bit like a CAT So it very nearly passed fully decatted

Passed easily on the double centre but would have passed easily on the single centre pipe. Can't honestly remember it being that much quieter with the CAT(s) in place and the rest of the decat and induction kit fitted though.

I know what you mean about droning though, I picked up some people from the airport and my car was louder than the plane they got off
Old 14 August 2007, 10:59 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

cheers Iain

Last edited by mac12; 14 August 2007 at 11:06 PM.