Notices

Daughterboards

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 02:04 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Daughterboards

I have just seen a zero sports daughterboard for a scooby ecu, can anyone on sn remap these at all?

Would like to get my hands on the thing and i was just wondering, cheers
Old 14 August 2007, 02:14 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only remappable by Zerosports themselves as far as i know (i looked into this sometime ago).
Old 14 August 2007, 02:35 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

No wonder the price is so keen then, oh well the more i look around the more tempted i am to stretch to the power fc and sti8 ic
Old 14 August 2007, 03:11 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.polarpeformance.co.uk is worth having a look at (depending on year of your car)
Old 14 August 2007, 05:52 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Well i did think if them but im not too keep on a piggyback ecu, can't beat having the real deal.
Old 14 August 2007, 06:01 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, but was the extra slot in the early ECUs there for motorsport teams to tune the fueling etc., or am I being incredibly naive?
Old 14 August 2007, 06:05 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

No you're right, i don't like piggybacks as it's just that, it overrides the standard ecu signals and alters them, personally id rather have a proper ecu.

Although daughterboards may do the job id rather have an ecu for peace of mind.

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2007, 06:14 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hux309
No you're right, i don't like piggybacks as it's just that, it overrides the standard ecu signals and alters them, personally id rather have a proper ecu.

Although daughterboards may do the job id rather have an ecu for peace of mind.
The solutions on the polar performance site are not piggy back in any way at all, even the postal map chips are replament maps, they replace the entire map and for all purposes are indeed a replacement ECU (baring the shiny case you will get from apexi). The ESL live mapping option available is in many ways better than the apexi as it retains the origional ECU's ability to retard the timing if it detects knock, that and I'm betting its way cheaper than the apexi. The ESL is not a piggy back solution.
Old 14 August 2007, 08:58 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borat,

thanks for clearing that up....

Just to confirm...

The ECU chips that I sell along with the ESL Live map adaptor board Do not override any standard JECS Subaru OE Fetaure .

The ECU came with a spare socket, for what I beleive was to get round a loophole in the Group 'N' Rally Regs.
This stated that the ECU must be of standard fit and be retained within the standard ECU enclosure.
They got round this by having a spare loaction on the board that could be accessed simply by cutting a link on the main board.
The ECU logic would then run the 'Code' and the 'Performance Maps' from the chip/adaptor in the spare location rather then use the on-board device.

This means that not only the performance maps are updated, but the ECU runs the Code as per an OE ECU i.e ECU self diagnostics, Knock control, cold running, safety/limp home features, to name but a few......

Infact.....if you are running an ECU that pre-dates a Z4 (1994 WRX 260ps), then the code that the upgrade chip and ESL Live map adaptor are running, is actually newer then your standard ECU running code.

It is by no means the same as other piggyback upgrades such as Superchips, Uni-Chip modules, Apexi S-AFC etc....etc... which all interfere and re-interperet ECU signals in order to fool the OE ECU.
Old 14 August 2007, 09:53 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Aah, thank you for clearing that up scott, i was recommended one of your boards which lead me to your site.

I just assumed they were piggyback, i wasn't aware that by cutting the j1 link you actually stop the car using the original map and force it to utilise the eeprom on the board, now that is nice.

Hmm dang, i can get your live mappable board this month along with a decat pipe from tsl, that should make one hell of a difference to the car, but i have mot end of the month so will probably do it once all this is out the way.

So the fuelling and timing will be fine as the car will retard them accordingly, ideal you've convinced me lol i'll buy one asap, i take it with the decat you would advise a walbro fuel pump?

cheers