Notices

New motor knocking

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2007, 07:23 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor knocking

I got my car back nearly four weeks ago after having the engine rebuilt with a new direct from Subaru short motor. Ever since it has knocked on start up, only for about half a second then it stops and doesn't return. If I stop the engine and start it within a couple of minutes the knocking doesn't happen, but if I leave it for a while it knocks.

I tried starting while watching the oil pressure light and the knock coincides exactly with the light being on. The car runs fine and is smooth and pulls really well. It does make a very slight scarping noise at idle from around the turbo area.

I am approaching the end of the 1000 mile running in period (kept to less than 3500rpm and no laboring the motor as recommended by a reputable tuner). I will change the oil and begin to incrementally increase the revs.

Surely this knocking can't be right, I have done everything I was told religiously. Has anyone experienced the same think?

Stevo
Old 13 August 2007, 12:00 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

If its still on "run in" oil, it may take longer to pressurise the lifters.

I would wait and see what it's like after the oil change before worrying too much.
Old 13 August 2007, 07:22 AM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

The knocking is a crank/main/big end type noise, It is not a tapping a lifter would make.

Last edited by stevo1970; 13 August 2007 at 07:23 AM. Reason: big end
Old 13 August 2007, 05:43 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by stevo1970
I got my car back nearly four weeks ago after having the engine rebuilt with a new direct from Subaru short motor. Ever since it has knocked on start up, only for about half a second then it stops and doesn't return. If I stop the engine and start it within a couple of minutes the knocking doesn't happen, but if I leave it for a while it knocks.

I tried starting while watching the oil pressure light and the knock coincides exactly with the light being on. The car runs fine and is smooth and pulls really well. It does make a very slight scarping noise at idle from around the turbo area.

I am approaching the end of the 1000 mile running in period (kept to less than 3500rpm and no laboring the motor as recommended by a reputable tuner). I will change the oil and begin to incrementally increase the revs.

Surely this knocking can't be right, I have done everything I was told religiously. Has anyone experienced the same think?

Stevo
It should not knock at all on a new short engine; did they replace the oil pump? You will need to get the oil pressure checked, or give it back to the person who re-built it to get it tested, even with running in oil there should be no unusual noises.
Old 13 August 2007, 07:30 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Knocks are serious. Get it looked at ASAP and don't run the car.
Old 13 August 2007, 10:37 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eprom
It should not knock at all on a new short engine; did they replace the oil pump? You will need to get the oil pressure checked, or give it back to the person who re-built it to get it tested, even with running in oil there should be no unusual noises.
/

Yes a new oil pump was fitted.

I have spoken to the firm who fitted the new short motor, they have agreed to take the car back. I have no reason to doubt their word as i have dealt with them before and I've always had the impression they are honest and have the customers interest at heart.