Notices

sti 7 ppp need more power

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2007, 05:48 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sti 7 ppp need more power

i,ve got a sti 7 with the ppp on, i,m after more power more of thr time instead of the narrow power band i,ve got now (between 4200rpm a 6200rpm)i,ve only gota budget of around £1500 any suggestions or feedback on what youv,e done to your car and how much difference its made to driveability?
thanks
dean
Old 04 August 2007, 06:06 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Fuel pump,green or k & n panel filter and a remap.

You will see varst improvment, ant the car wil be much more driveable
Old 04 August 2007, 09:19 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

i have been told the ppp included an uprated fuel pump, is this info wrong?
thanks
dean
Old 04 August 2007, 10:35 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti.dean
i have been told the ppp included an uprated fuel pump, is this info wrong?
thanks
dean

Cant honestly say i know the answer. I did have to upgrade mine. Although i didnt have the ppp
Old 04 August 2007, 10:55 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Yes, PPP has an uprated fuel pump, but.......................beware, there have been a few stories of the pump not being fitted, even thought the owners had the PPP certificate.
Old 05 August 2007, 12:17 AM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

i,ve got a sti 7 with the ppp on, i,m after more power more of thr time instead of the narrow power band i,ve got now (between 4200rpm a 6200rpm)i,ve only gota budget of around £1500 any suggestions or feedback on what youv,e done to your car and how much difference its made to driveability?
thanks
dean
As said above PPP fuel pump has been known to stay in the box and not make its way onto your car.... I cant understand why as its a **** easy job.!

I checked mine last week to confirm it was a PPP pump and thankfully it was.

I believe that the limiting factor is the turbo on these versions so ideally get it changed if you want over 335bhp.

I would suggest you change the air filter to a K&N panel type and uprate the spark plugs to NGK PFR7B's as these are a grade colder than standard. They will handle higher temps which will inevitably occur with a remap.

Another option is to port the standard headers and heat wrap them, thats good for a few more ponnies and faster turbo spool up time.

With regards to the exhaust - this is a bit of a minefield really. Some tuners say the PPP downpipe has to be changed to see any real gains. Other tuners say the ppp downpipe does its job very well and can produce the same output as decatted versions. One consistent thing i have been told by any mapper i have spoken to is the ppp backbox is restrictive.

What you do with that info is up to you matey. But as a cost on the above mods.

Spark plugs - £40
Filter - £40 give or take a few £
Remap - £600 (the first time round)
Center section - £80ish
Back box - £150 to £300
Standard headers ported - £250 + uppipe £75 to £140

That would pretty much spend your £1500

Whilst enjoying all the new found BHP's you could then get back into save mode for a few months and gather another £650 to £800...

Search the for sale section relentlessly for an 18 or 20G turbo. Then fire your VF35 for sale on here or fleebay and get some £250+ back for it. That money for the turbo should then see you enough to get the cars tek3 map adjusted to suit. 18g = 370bhp and 20g good for 400bhp.

Rob

Last edited by rob2006; 05 August 2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05 August 2007, 11:29 AM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info rob
some of the bits mentioned i,ve already got done, straight throu exhaust from ppp downpipe to tsl firestorm backbox, green panel filter.i was considering fitting a set of rcm headers or similar or am i wasting my money at this level of tune? how do you tell if its ppp fuel pump? also is there any cooling benifit to be had by fitting a sti 8 bonnetscoop
thanks dean
Old 05 August 2007, 11:57 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Dean,

to complement your current mods we would suggest the following additions at a cost of 1560 inclusive from Mocom Racing........

Wrapped GTSPEC headers/uppipe
RCMS K&N Induction with spun trumpet
Iridium spark plugs
Walbro fuel pump

This little lot should see you with around 340bhp and a much broader power band than you have at present. The headers would raise the boost threshold by a few hundred rpm but this can be lowered with clever optimsation of your inlet cam timing at the time of remap

Selling your current panel filter and OE headers will recoup some funds giving you what you want for less than your 1500 budget

Last edited by Mocom Racing; 05 August 2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spHeLing
Old 05 August 2007, 12:10 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Dean.... ^^^^ all that above is throwing money away for nothing.

The NGK plugs are cheaper and **** all over any iridium version.

The standard air box can handle over 400 with a panel filter. Why would you want to spend £200+ on an induction kit!!

Speak to Harvey on here about the standard ported headers... you'll save money buying those and the benefits will be better as well.

your prodrive pump is a walbro with the serial no filed off and it will handle over 400bhp as well.

Rob
Old 05 August 2007, 12:23 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Removal of fuel pump....

Lift the boot carpet and you expose an oval panel at the RH rear of the boot. Undo the screws and lift the panel.

Depressurise the fuel system by disconnecting the fuel pump wiring (which you need to do anyway) and starting the car. Let it run until it conks out then turn it over another couple of times to make sure - it shouldn't start.

There are 3 hoses to disconnect (and keep a rag handy as there's usually a little petrol to mop up) and move out of the way.

Once hoses and wiring are all disconnected just lift and turn the assembly through about 180 degrees at the same time and it'll pop out.
It's reasonably large as the pump sits insite the whole sender unit/hose assembly.

The prodrive pump has a Black top rather than the standard cars beige colour. (the part the wiring plugs into)

It has a foam sleeve around it which if removed will show the filed down section where are the walbro part no's used to be.

Bang it all back in once satisfied.

Rob
Old 05 August 2007, 12:27 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rob2006
Dean.... ^^^^ all that above is throwing money away for nothing.Rob
Can I assume you've tested all the relevant parts to substantiate your comments?

The NGK plugs are cheaper and **** all over any iridium version.
We sell NGK PFR7B's and Denso Iridium IK22s at the same price yet with a car of this spec we'd fit the Densos - how exactly would the car in question '**** all over' the same car with the NGK's?

The standard air box can handle over 400 with a panel filter. Why would you want to spend £200+ on an induction kit!!
The standard induction airbox configuration may well be able to flow 400bhp with a suitably sized turbo, something Dean here doesn't have the luxury of owning so we need to look at other areas to improve airflow.

Speak to Harvey on here about the standard ported headers... you'll save money buying those and the benefits will be better as well.
So the standard headers, when ported, flow more than the GTSPEC items do they? Perhaps I should change my recommendations to make my cars perform better

your prodrive pump is a walbro with the serial no filed off and it will handle over 400bhp as well.
I have fitted Walbros to many STi7's with PPP that have not had the uprated pump fitted. If it should not be required it wouldn't be fitted but we couldn't possibly know without looking in the first place.
Old 05 August 2007, 05:06 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Can I assume you've tested all the relevant parts to substantiate your comments?

We sell NGK PFR7B's and Denso Iridium IK22s at the same price yet with a car of this spec we'd fit the Densos - how exactly would the car in question '**** all over' the same car with the NGK's?

The standard induction airbox configuration may well be able to flow 400bhp with a suitably sized turbo, something Dean here doesn't have the luxury of owning so we need to look at other areas to improve airflow.

So the standard headers, when ported, flow more than the GTSPEC items do they? Perhaps I should change my recommendations to make my cars perform better

I have fitted Walbros to many STi7's with PPP that have not had the uprated pump fitted. If it should not be required it wouldn't be fitted but we couldn't possibly know without looking in the first place.
Mocom Racing - It seems i have hit a nerve with what I've said. The advice i gave is the advice i was given from tuners around the country.

This is what i did..... i created 1 email and sent it to all of the top respected names in the country. I awaited the replies from each of them and tried to match what they were all saying i should do.

I took these replies and jiggled them about to play one company off another.. i.e company A, said x,y,z and company B said a,y,z. I then ask company A what they thought the benifits of ayz would be over their suggested xyz and vice versa with all of them.

Its funny really as the only person I could take advice from is the actual mapper himself........ because he wasn't trying to sell me anything other than the remap. Sorry if i offended you, maybe next time i'll include you in one of the companies that i email when i want advice on mods next..... oh and before you go off on one i'm not suggesting that your not one of the top companies in the UK.

Dean, email a mapper that doesn't sell these products to get a true reflection of what you do and dont need.

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by rob2006; 05 August 2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05 August 2007, 07:26 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob if that reply came from Zak @ Mocom then he IS the mapper himself and a very respected tuner this end of the country so no disrespect tp yourself but i'm sure Mocom have more experience and are in a better position to offer advice than you .
Old 05 August 2007, 07:31 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

thankyou all very much for the info so far,
does anyone have any info on wether the sti8 bonnet scoop has any extra cooling effects over the smaller sti7 version
thanks
dean
Old 05 August 2007, 08:09 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

thankyou all very much for the info so far,
does anyone have any info on wether the sti8 bonnet scoop has any extra cooling effects over the smaller sti7 version
thanks
dean
24% better airflow apparently.
Old 05 August 2007, 08:10 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Rob if that reply came from Zak @ Mocom then he IS the mapper himself and a very respected tuner this end of the country so no disrespect tp yourself but i'm sure Mocom have more experience and are in a better position to offer advice than you .
I completely agree mate. Only my replay may have been written by me.. but its a result of what i've been told by the top tuners/mappers. So its not really my advice.

Rob
Old 06 August 2007, 08:16 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Rob you certainly haven't hit a nerve, I'm just trying to offer advice gained from my own testing on the particular model in question - the STi7 - rather than adding random comments of little value.