Notices

variable pitched fast drill-like sound when on boost :(

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 07:45 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default variable pitched fast drill-like sound when on boost :(

Hey guys, I just had the alternator and new TMIC off as I had a friend help me fit my defi oil pressure and temp senders on Fluffy.

We put everything back on, as far as I can see perfectly, but have noticed that when on boost, the more I floor it the more a variable pitched whine develops, like a high speed powerdrill going up to a dentist's drill almost in pitch lol. I only noticed it half way back home when I closed the windows then it was really obvious, I could detect it after that with the windows down. I think that I have lost some boost too but cannot tell until I fit the gauges in to the car tomorrow. Sounds to me like I am hearing the turbine? I am not hearing any leaking air that I can detect when on boost, but it's not like I am a don with this stuff. When at motorway speeds where the boost is on for longer to pick up speed, it is particularly noticeable.

Just to repeat, I am pretty sure that the hoses are firmly in place and are all on, but if someone has experienced just this and knows the quick fix that would be great. I have had it for today and will be checking it out again in the morning. feel embaressed asking this as I have never had any problems refitting intercoolers on and off before if it is that .

Cheers,

Nick
Old 03 August 2007, 08:23 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

It sounds like boost leak to me..! Had it once when I forgot to tighten DV bolts..

Check all the hoses/clips for the TMIC and also the plumbing for the boost gauge.

IIRC defi's use an electronic sender for the boost..? Otherwise I wondered if you'd plumbed the hose in without connecting it to the gauge (ie open)..
Old 03 August 2007, 08:51 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Yeah I reckon it's going to be something silly. I have a brand new DV gasket here so may change that as a matter of course and will double check the jubilee clips and make sure they are on optimally. I haven't actually fitted the boost sender yet as I wanted to check up on the best way/place to fit it first so that isn't the cause.

Cheers,

Nick .
Old 03 August 2007, 11:17 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

In that case most likely IC pipework, although have you ruled out alternator belt/tension etc..?

Does this happen when revving whilst standing still in neutral for instance..?
Old 03 August 2007, 11:20 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I did think about it but it does sound more turbo-related. I didn't rev her at idle as the neighbours don't understand and simply think I am being a chav! Will see what I find in the morning.
Old 04 August 2007, 10:50 AM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

I get that too?

Do some cars just have it all the time or is it not good.. lol
Old 04 August 2007, 11:31 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Depending on what turbo you're running (esp VF35..), it's normal to hear the whine/whistle of the turbo spooling up. Some describe this sounding like a jet engine, which essentially, being a turbine, is the same..

Anything above this, especially at higher revs and if it sounds like a dentists drill or gazoo (sp..?) usually indicates boost pressure leaking..!
However, without hearing it it's impossible to say for certain.

It helps if you're running a boost gauge as you can correlate the sound to boost pressure, IYSWIM..?
Old 04 August 2007, 11:51 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I am plumbing in the boost sender atm. I checked the clips over and tightened the one around the turbo. Took it for a drive, not really any better. I then checked the BOV and found the the right bolt to be nowhere near as tight as the left. I have fitted a new gasket for the hell of it and have done it up 'me' tight and will try it out again later after I make some decent progress with the gauge install.
Old 04 August 2007, 12:41 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

I got no idea what turbo i have lol.. pics of the car in View My Scooby haha
Old 05 August 2007, 09:13 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Right, well due to being incredibly **** when it comes to things like wiring etc I didn't finish the defi install until dusk . Took her out and I think the new gasket and retightening of the bolts on the BOV did the trick but I can't remember what the car sounded like now before it was leaking boost . Getting absolute boost peak of 1.5 bar but 1.4 most of the time.

Cheers,

Nick .