Turbo hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2007, 10:51 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo hesitation

Hi Guys,

I have a MY05 STI PPP and it behaved oddly today on the way home from work, normal driving was ok, I saw a clean stretch of road and so put my foot down a little from 1st gear through to 3rd and I experienced something wierd.

Basically, I have always had my rev limiter light set to 6400rpm as recomended by many on this forum, so you hit peak power each time. But when I powered through 1st gear and then dropped it into 2nd, there was a second or so delay in 2nd gear before the turbo kicked in and then the same happened when I put it into 3rd after powering through 2nd gear.

I have never experienced this before, normally I have immediate power when changing through the gears on the rev limiter light (@6400rpm), normally a straight kick in the back hitting the sweet power spot each time. But today when I changed through the gears there was a definate delay of around a second or so before the turbo power kicked in . I tried it a few times and the same happned.

I know there is normal turbo lag but this is when hitiing the limiter light and changing up through the gears, I have never previously had any turbo delay, the power has always been immediate.

Can anyone explain what this could be please? I'm quite confused and will be ringing my dealers tomorrow to explain this.

Thought I'd get some of your technical opinions first.

Thanks in advance.