Notices

Worn cam sprocket??

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2007, 03:45 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn cam sprocket??

When i had some modifications done to my car (uk turbo 2000) i was told the cam sprocket had worn thus causing cam timing to be out. My question is what would the garage do to the car to correct this? The only part i can see on my invoice is a woodruff key? If a cam sprocket was worn would this be replaced? Is it a big job to correct? Is a cambelt changed? Just wondered what the whole process would be to put it back to normal? I know before you say why didn'y you ask the garage? But i wanted the car back asap and a bit of time has passed now and its been nigglin at me wondering what they did to the car to correct the problem? Just curious really.
Old 31 July 2007, 09:23 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The woodruff key sits in the slot on the snout of the crankshaft and locates
the timing belt crank sprocket and the front pulley(damper).
These tend to wear if the front pulley has been loose at any time.
If you havent been invoiced for a replacement "cam sprocket" then they have either fitted a second hand one or not replaced it at all.
If the cam timing was out more than 3 teeth,you would have damaged/bent valves( Inlet and Exhaust Valve contact) - not in your case obviously.
Get back in touch with the Garage and find out exactly which pulley it was.

Mick
Old 01 August 2007, 04:39 AM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply, as far as my invoice goes nothing listed apart from a woodruff key so as you say perhaps worth checking out. The problem aparently came to light when it wasn't producing the expected power on the dyno with a bigger turbo and supporting mods etc and this was told to be the cause. I was driving the car everyday and never noticed anything, is there any tell tale signs for cam timing being slightly out?

thanks