Notices

IC Auto Spray switch help - please

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2007, 01:48 PM
mattL1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IC Auto Spray switch help - please

I have fitted the STI IC spray nozzles to my P1 and hooked them up to the headlight washer pump, which all works fine.

But, I also bought an STI auto spray switch which I was going to hook upto a pressure switch and then the pump so then when turned on it only sprays over a certain boost. I found the below wiring diagram and connected pins 2 and 4 to a fog light switch wiring and my switch now lights up when the headlights are on, which is correct.

But, I tried connecting pins 3 and 5 directly to the live and earth on the pump (without the pressure switch for testing) but nothing happens when turned on. Do I need a live connection from the battery to my switch so that it can power the pump? If so does this live splice into one of the existing connections ie the connection I have from pin 3 or does it join a new pin altogether? (Once this bit is working I'll connect the pressure switch in as well).

thanks

Matt
Old 30 July 2007, 02:48 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pump MUST be powered via a relay, not the switch.
The switches don't take the motor current very well and you may have burnt yours out.
The switch signal is only used as the relay opener.
Pin 3 can come from a fused battery connection such as the ciggie lighter.
Pin 5 goes to the relay switch power in (via boost switch).
The relay should be a timer version or the water bottle may get emptied very quickly.
Old 30 July 2007, 09:28 PM
mattL1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks mate, thats perfect. Is it possible to leave pins 3 and 5 connected to the pump and then join pin 3 (black / white on the pump) into a fused battery connection as well? So that the switch directly powers the pump?

Do you know where the headlight pump relay is?

thanks again.
Old 30 July 2007, 09:51 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that I said that connecting the switch to directly power the pump was a big no no.
The washer relay should be in the black fuse/relay box next to the battery. Perhaps someone from the P1owc can help id which one.
The spray switch should replace whatever wiring triggers the washer relay, so that probably requires cutting out its usual signal (a combo of headlights and windscreen wash on) but again P1owc can give more accurate advice or the porper wiring diagram for a P1.

nick