Notices

Enclosed induction kit question

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2007, 10:40 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed induction kit question

Anyone got either a pipercross viper or CDA airbox on their scooby?
If you have what do you think of it? Ive seen pictures in banzai etc and they look the part but have you gained or more importantly lost anything?
Ive got a 97 model uk impreza turbo with a TSL panel filter in it. This is my first impreza and I had induction kits in all my previous cars so i miss the noise! but there seems to be alot of potential problems with the exposed cone filter drawing in hot air or moisture and doing more harm than good.
The pipercross and the CDA seem to offer a solution..............
Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Will I have to get the air fuel mixture adjusted or will the stock ECU compensate?
Old 18 July 2007, 09:28 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If you enclose the induction kit filter, you'll get rid of most of the noise, besides a turbo engine has inherently a totally different (and mostly quieter) induction noise than an NA.

If you want indcution noise you can either remove the underwing silencer completely, or cut off the resonator and patch over the hole.

Simon
Old 18 July 2007, 09:54 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

DO NOT BUY AN INDUCTION KIT UNLESS YOU ARE GOING FOR MORE THAN ABOUT 400BHP, THE STANDARD AIRBOX IS MORE THAN GOOD ENOUGHT TO COPE UNTIL THEN, INDUCTION KITS, ESPECIALLY OILED ONES WILL KNACKER YOUR MAF, AND POTENTIALLY YOUR ENGINE
Old 18 July 2007, 10:01 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

no need to SHOUT!
Old 18 July 2007, 06:49 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airbox is perfectly fine unless you are going for mega high power or you need to fit a FMIC. 'Oiled' filter elements are perfectly fine, as they are with ALL cars that have been made in the world ever, apart from Subarus if you believe the scaremongers on here. The oil is part of the filtering medium but it is not supposed to be wringing wet with it. If only people would follow the actual reoiling instructions every time they cleaned their pleated cotton filters there would never be any problems.

Throw in a Green or K&N cotton panel filter in and the job's a good un. If you desperately want an induction cone, a K&N, Green or Apexi will do the job and make a noise if that's what you're after. Don't worry too much about an induction cone eating up a lot of hot air, unless you spend all your time in traffic. Pretty much ANY turbocharged motor can consume air at a fair old rate and far faster than an engine bay can supply air that's significantly hotter than ambient. I.e. a turbo will suck it up quicker than an engine bay can heat it up. The filter location is not too bad as standard, although if you can keep the airbox, do keep it, unless you really want the noise of an induction kit.
Old 18 July 2007, 07:49 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
The airbox is perfectly fine unless you are going for mega high power or you need to fit a FMIC. 'Oiled' filter elements are perfectly fine, as they are with ALL cars that have been made in the world ever, apart from Subarus if you believe the scaremongers on here. The oil is part of the filtering medium but it is not supposed to be wringing wet with it. If only people would follow the actual reoiling instructions every time they cleaned their pleated cotton filters there would never be any problems.

Throw in a Green or K&N cotton panel filter in and the job's a good un. If you desperately want an induction cone, a K&N, Green or Apexi will do the job and make a noise if that's what you're after. Don't worry too much about an induction cone eating up a lot of hot air, unless you spend all your time in traffic. Pretty much ANY turbocharged motor can consume air at a fair old rate and far faster than an engine bay can supply air that's significantly hotter than ambient. I.e. a turbo will suck it up quicker than an engine bay can heat it up. The filter location is not too bad as standard, although if you can keep the airbox, do keep it, unless you really want the noise of an induction kit.

agree about oiled cone filters,so long as it is re-oiled correctly there will be no problems with oil contamination on maf.
funny thing is people say not to have an oiled cone filter,but put a k&n panel filter in air box.i was always under the impresion all k&n were oiled?
Old 19 July 2007, 09:20 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

They are oiled just like the cone filters,other problem with induction kits is mounting them to eliminate vibration,that also screws the maf up esp on my99/00 cars which are known to be less robust than others...... panel filter in original airbox all the way.