Notices

is the standard sti diff adjustable???

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2007, 08:53 PM
j7 gkk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the standard sti diff adjustable???

ive got a version 4 sti and it feels like the power is more to the front end of the car, my old wrx felt a lot more livelier on the rear end just wondering if you can manually adjust it?

if you cannot adjust the diff could the geomatry been out cause this? in a short time ill having the geomatry set up just wanting some eibach springs first
Old 10 July 2007, 11:37 PM
j7 gkk
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 11 July 2007, 07:20 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC:
The WRX had no lsd in the rear so the rear will feel different in response to the Sti which has a smooth viscous lsd rear end.

The cars are bias to FWD and that ratio is factory fixed.

To have a changable bias front/rear split you need a car with dccd, an Sti RA for example. Things really do change then!

Unless the geometry is way-off I doubt then is anything to do with the feel of the rear, but a spring change (assuming the dampers are good) and a good alignment done by one who knows, will pay huge divdends.

Graham.
Old 11 July 2007, 09:38 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Eh, I thought the WRX, like the UK Turbo had a rear VC?

Centre diff is 50/50 (its not even an epicyclic, but convenional planet/sun so it can't have a bias), so clearly NOT front bias.

Geometry or other suspension 'bits' could casue this (make usre it still has the STi larger rear ARB and the droplink bushes aren't shot for example!)

Simon

Simon
Old 14 July 2007, 12:04 AM
j7 gkk
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies, the lsd explains a lot to be honest as i was comparing both of the cars not knowing. Im going to get the car over a pit and check all the bushes and trackrod ends choose some good springs and have the geometry set up by the clinic.

can anyone recommedn any springs, ive been thinkin either eibach or been looking at whiteline flatout springs, but have not had any experience with any of them

thanx again