Turbocharger question for a STI Type R

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2007, 10:04 AM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharger question for a STI Type R

Hi,

I wondering if a TD05-20G would be a good upgrade for a STI Type-R?

Also if the engine on the Type-R is similiar to the STI new age 2.0 litre engine? I had the TD05-18G on my old car (STI new age 05).

The car has just a Ecutek flash at the moment and a exhaust system. But If I know me the car would not stay in this shape for long.

Also what should I look out for when tuning a Type-R engine? I have in mind to change injectors, fuel rails, ic etc. But what is the weak point of this engine. Is it safe to output around 400-450 hp (engine horsepower) with stock internals?

Regards
J
Old 01 July 2007, 05:34 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede-STI
Hi,

I wondering if a TD05-20G would be a good upgrade for a STI Type-R?

Also if the engine on the Type-R is similiar to the STI new age 2.0 litre engine? I had the TD05-18G on my old car (STI new age 05).

The car has just a Ecutek flash at the moment and a exhaust system. But If I know me the car would not stay in this shape for long.

Also what should I look out for when tuning a Type-R engine? I have in mind to change injectors, fuel rails, ic etc. But what is the weak point of this engine. Is it safe to output around 400-450 hp (engine horsepower) with stock internals?

Regards
J

If the engine is look aftered then it should be able to handle over 400 in standard form. It can take it, but for how long is another question.

The 20G is a good choice for around 400 bhp, however the MD321H is a better option than the 20G, it produces more power at lower boost levels as well as having similar spooling charachteristics to the 18G.

It may be a better option to also look at an Apexi or similar aftermarket ECU, although you can achieve the power with the ECUTEK, a stand alone unit will allow many more options and better boost control.

As you stated uprated fuelling is a must as well as a flowing exhaust system (3" decat), and all other supporting mods.

Also be careful with the Gearbox, earliear Type R boxes were weaker and tend to break with over 400lbs torque, you may need to ultimately consider a PPG or six speed gearbox conversion.