wheel wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2007, 09:39 PM
bluboy64
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wheel wobble!

Hi all,
Am owner of my02 sti with ppp. recently replaced original 17 inch wheels with set of new wolfrace eurosport 18 inch wheels fitted with dunlop sport 9000,s.
Ever since fitting have had wobbles start at 60mph. i work in the trade and have had wheels balanced 3 times with no success. Car is fully serviced with Cheam Motors, a Subaru dealer. current milage of car is 38k. Had no issues with original wheels. Anyone else had probs with wheel upgrades ?, am baffled!!!
Old 30 June 2007, 09:59 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Just ditched my Dunlops for yokos on MY03 STi 18s aswell as the tyres always caused wobble/vibration, I had them balanced but they could never find the fault, felt like I had no front wheel bearings. Now with new tyres problem is gone.
I have had this before with cheaper tyres.
Old 30 June 2007, 10:29 PM
gavs scooby
Scooby Regular

are the wheels purposely for an impreza i ask because i had the same trouble and the wheels i put on wasnt for that car and i forgot to put the spigot rings in so the wheels wasnt centred so to speak
Old 01 July 2007, 12:31 AM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

as above

spigot rings and correct offset, which is 45-55
Old 01 July 2007, 11:31 AM
bluboy64
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Thanks for replys. Wheels are correct offset and for my model year impreza, also have spigot rings fitted. The reason i got these wheels and tyres is cos i needed new set of tyres for orig wheels. the new set of tyres and wheeels cost bout the same as just replacing orig tyres. Thought Dunlops were a decent tyre, not cheap and nasty. Anyone else had probs with Dunlops?
Old 01 July 2007, 11:58 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Have you tried swapping the offending wheel to the back of the car? Or having the tyre remounted.
I have got to admit I was really dissapointed with the Dunlops, I ditched them after 300mls. I knew it must be bad when even the wife could tell there was something wrong I have had yokohamas a few times and have never had problems.
Old 03 September 2007, 03:04 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluboy64
Hi all,
Am owner of my02 sti with ppp. recently replaced original 17 inch wheels with set of new wolfrace eurosport 18 inch wheels fitted with dunlop sport 9000,s.
Ever since fitting have had wobbles start at 60mph. i work in the trade and have had wheels balanced 3 times with no success. Car is fully serviced with Cheam Motors, a Subaru dealer. current milage of car is 38k. Had no issues with original wheels. Anyone else had probs with wheel upgrades ?, am baffled!!!
Sorry to dig this up but what is the exact model of your Wolfrace wheels and the sizes?

I ask because I have a set of Urban Racer 18's with zz3 tyres and my car has just been at Subaru4you trying to get to the bottom of the vibrations/wobbles after 2 sets of balancing and a 4 wheel alignment. I would really like to see a reply from you as I was having trouble believing that the new wheels were having this effect on the car, as she did it before (but with 2 buckled wheels lol, hence me replacing them).

Cheers,

Nick .