Notices

Anti-roll bars

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2007, 08:06 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anti-roll bars

Hey guys, this is probably gonna be one of those stupid questions that I ask and you'll be like "omg you don't know that!??!?!" lol......but here it is anyway......

My car is currently at my local subaru dealer having a service and also it's MOT. They phoned me earlier to say that for the MOT I would need new pads all round, and also......front & rear anti-roll bars. I didn't think anything of it and was like yeah okay that's cool.....go ahead with it like. But speaking to a mate now afterwards.....he doesn't understand why an anti-roll bar would ever need replacing......let alone ALL of them on the car at the same time. He reckons there should just be bushes or mounts or something on them that need changing.....but not the actual bars. They quoted me £306 for the anti-roll bars (including fitting)......so I'm guessing that's not just a few bits of rubber? He reckons it's bollocks that they need replacing and I should phone them and ask what's actually wrong with them......but I don't really want to, I'm sure they know what they're doing like.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Cheers in advance for your answers
Old 27 June 2007, 08:17 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 4 pads and both ARB's need replacing for the MOT, I'd say it was very unlikely.

For starters the rear pads on my classic lasted 3 or 4 times longer than the fronts so it would be quite a coincidence for them to need changing at the same time as the fronts unless they were quite old.

As for the roll bars, unless they are damaged, bent or broken I doubt they'd be able to tell if they were any different than another car, what did they do test them in a machine for resistence?
Old 27 June 2007, 08:18 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think your mate is right as it's normally the bushes that will perish over time.
TBH if you don't ask you'll get ripped off imo.
Old 27 June 2007, 09:24 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

trying it on big stylee by the sounds of it, prob got a bit of rust on it and the guy looking at it is going on what the computer says, tis the case for alot of dealers, the mechinacs just look in a book for an answer.

not always the case but tis fairly often