Notices

Resonated Decat centre louder than standard centre?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2007, 09:49 AM
mattdunleavy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonated Decat centre louder than standard centre?

Hi Everyone,

Ive got a MY99 impreza turbo, standard aside from a Magnex Oval back box. Im pleased with the sound but wouldnt mind it being a bit louder, but nothing too mad that will upset the neighbours.

Will a decat centre section with a resonator be louder or the same as the original centre?, and how much louder will the straight through pipe be? - I do mostly motorway miles, so want to avoid cabin drone if possible.

From reading lots of threads its clear the straight centre is louder, but cant figure out if the resonated is!

Also, from cold, the exhasut seems to be much quiter than when its hot - any ideas why this is?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 01 June 2007, 09:56 AM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

i would just go for a straight pipe mate, mine has the magnex with no centre box at all and its not loud imo at m'way speeds there is no drone, any n/a car with an exhaust i always found to be louder, when u give it full throttle it sounds great but normal driving is very easy to live with just that lovely flat 4 burble is enhanced a bit

im going for a decatted downpipe next that should make it thump a bit more but still magnex is one of the more subltle exhausts in the range

Barry
Old 01 June 2007, 02:44 PM
mattdunleavy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Burt2000, im leaning towards the staight pipe, a magnex one is only £70 from halfords, however a couple of other posts suggest they have had problems with cabin drone on motorway, anyone else got a similar setup?
Old 01 June 2007, 03:48 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

If I was you I'd leave the centre section as-is (on a UK car it has a cat in it) and get a de-cat downpipe. This will improve the noise. But with the cat in the centre section you'll still pass an MOT on emissions.
Old 01 June 2007, 04:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Resonated decat centre louder than std centre, but not much and none of the drone that afflicts the non resonated type.

A non-resonated centre section was too much for me when installed on my classic: nice sound, but the drone is wearing on motorway cruises!

Ns04
Old 01 June 2007, 04:11 PM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

id be interested in the noise factor with a decat downpipe too - I have a 99 uk wagon, with H&S centre stright through section and a tastefull prodrive rear box, fairly quiet I think,nice noise sound under power and very easy to live with on motorway runs, but like u all love the flat 4 rumble -

I wonder if the downipe cat will ruin all this? certainly worth it in BHP sense dont you think?
Old 01 June 2007, 05:12 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

as far as i know a decatted downpipe makes it a bit louder...like it thumps more if u know i mean, but a magnex shouldnt be too bad, and at the min mine is fine on motorway, u cant beat that flat 4 note!