So what mods next?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2007, 09:57 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb So what mods next?

Hi Guys,

I've got a Jap Import Version 2 Impreza with the following mods.

Revolution 3inch decat exhaust, H&S bell mouth down pipe, scoobysport equal lenght headers. Apexi power intake, Apexi power fc and commander, Apexi AVCR, Apeix 550 injectors, light weight pulleys, FMIC, samco hoses, HKS dump valve, walbro 255 fuel pump, SX FPR.

Whats next for the engine do you guys recomend? (apart from a rebuild) cams, different turbo (currently a TD05), or something else?

The brakes and suspension have neen sorted, but the gearbox, clutch, flywheel re all standard.

I'm looking at getting a lightened and balanced to sort the clutch judder and to prepare for the uprated clutch I'm sure I'm soon gonna have to get.

I was thinking a STI 6 speed gearbox conversation to strenghten it up, is this too much or will it be need. Mustpeople around the 330bhp-350bhp I've read about have had lots of gerbox problems.

Cheers guys.
Old 12 May 2007, 10:02 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

Clutch judder is caused by the actual clutch plate, not the flywheel balance, the flywheel is balanced before it was fitted, but yeah going for a lightened flywheel will help the engine spin up quicker. Can't beat and Exedy or AP organic clutch.
Old 13 May 2007, 10:00 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

So what mods next?
Old 13 May 2007, 10:20 AM
charlesk
Scooby Regular

What are you targets mate. The Spec that you've got isn't that bad.
It will all depend on what you what to get out of the car....
Old 13 May 2007, 10:39 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

I mainly want to maintain realibity and to upgrade any areas that may need it due to the prior mods already made.

I think the setup I've got is pretty good, and to a point I've over engineered it, but I'd rather spend that little bit more and have a good strong realiable engine that can be used daily and given abuse every now and then without things going bang and the need to open the engine every few miles.

Without going inside the engine I dont think theres any more I can exstract from it. I think the drive train may need attention.

Do you think the gearbox will need to be replace say with a STI 6 speed item? I'm sure the clutch will not hold out much longer as it's only standard, so that I will change and whilst I'm there I might as well replace the flywheel with a lightened and balanced item.

I don't need any more power really, I just want to make it ultra relaible and get the best of what I've already got.
Old 13 May 2007, 12:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Hi Guys,

I've got a Jap Import Version 2 Impreza with the following mods.

Revolution 3inch decat exhaust, H&S bell mouth down pipe, scoobysport equal lenght headers. Apexi power intake, Apexi power fc and commander, Apexi AVCR, Apeix 550 injectors, light weight pulleys, FMIC, samco hoses, HKS dump valve, walbro 255 fuel pump, SX FPR.

Whats next for the engine do you guys recomend? (apart from a rebuild) cams, different turbo (currently a TD05), or something else?

The brakes and suspension have neen sorted, but the gearbox, clutch, flywheel re all standard.

I'm looking at getting a lightened and balanced to sort the clutch judder and to prepare for the uprated clutch I'm sure I'm soon gonna have to get.

I was thinking a STI 6 speed gearbox conversation to strenghten it up, is this too much or will it be need. Mustpeople around the 330bhp-350bhp I've read about have had lots of gerbox problems.

Cheers guys.
I think you're getting to the point where the law of diminishing returns starts applying mate. Sounds like a good spec to me.

I'd just put aside some money for when the gearbox does eventually go. A new age 6 speed should cope with your spec quite comfortably.

ns04
Old 13 May 2007, 12:42 PM
charlesk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I think you're getting to the point where the law of diminishing returns starts applying mate. Sounds like a good spec to me.

I'd just put aside some money for when the gearbox does eventually go. A new age 6 speed should cope with your spec quite comfortably.

ns04
I'd agree with ns04.
Put money aside for when/if the gb goes.
A 6sp gearbox will set you back approx £2k, and yes it will cope with your spec easily (provided that it is in good condition in the first place).
Old 13 May 2007, 02:56 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by charlesk
I'd agree with ns04.
Put money aside for when/if the gb goes.
A 6sp gearbox will set you back approx £2k, and yes it will cope with your spec easily (provided that it is in good condition in the first place).
£2K for a gearbox!!! I was expecting £800-900!!!
Old 13 May 2007, 04:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa
£2K for a gearbox!!! I was expecting £800-900!!!
That'd get you a recon Classic gearbox, but you really want either a 6 speed form a newage or PPG gearset to ensure that you won't be forking out another 800-900 quid anytime soon!

May as well get it sorted once and for all the first time!!
Ns04