Notices

samco y pipe and snorkel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2007, 01:17 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default samco y pipe and snorkel removal?

hi, had a remap by andy f yesterday on my 99 classic uk turbo, mods are full de cat, magnex up pipe, harvey ported headers, panel filter and now ecutek by andy f. anyway car now pulls much harder and feels much faster and big thanks to andy for his mapping, he mentioned i should replace the turbo to intercooler pipe with a samco one as fitted to the uk ppp cars and also remove the resonator from the airbox and the snorkel and blank the hole in the inside wing to stop heat from the engine getting in and i should see gains of roughly 10bhp. anyone else done this to their classic and what were the results? cheers.
Old 03 May 2007, 09:09 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Old 03 May 2007, 10:46 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

nobody has any opinions??? help would be appreciated.
Old 03 May 2007, 11:32 AM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Wink

The corrugated OE intercooler pipe is a cheap 'n nasty bit of kit. If you're running more boost, replacing it with a Samco/Prodrive hose is a worthwhile mod. Firstly (and importantly) it's smooth insides allow undisrupted air flow unlike the std pipe and second due to it's strength you're unlikely to blow it to pieces with the extra pressure you're probably running with the remap. Andy's suggestion about the snorkel and resonator is a good cheap fix - with the mods you've got, the more clean cold air you can get into the engine the better. The snorkel/resonator is a bit restrictive and hot air into the induction system is a no-no. Removing it and using the space in the inner wing for cold air will help - some folks on here have done similar.
Some STi owners on here run cold air feeds in from the foglight space behind the blanking plates for more power particulary with turbo changes.
Plenty of info about cold air feeds/mods if you do a search and I think there might be a Samco or Prodrive hose for sale in General Items.

Hope this helps,

Stewart.