Notices

200 Cel Sports Cat, Any noticeable difference in performance once fitted ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2007, 08:53 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200 Cel Sports Cat, Any noticeable difference in performance once fitted ??

As per others, Changing the Decat for a Cat @ Mot time is a pain, So im going down the Sports Cat route, But not in the Down Pipe , In the Centre Pipe, So i can still remove it easily if needs be .

Is there any noticeable difference in performance ??
I know than any object in the flow of the gases will hinder flow, especially as you get into Big Hp, But for everyday use is it worth it ??
Cheers

Dean
Old 17 April 2007, 05:59 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno about your particular one, but I've had a GGR sports catted downpipe on mine for ages and I assure you it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the power it makes. My VF35 spools up so fast on it that it's giving my compressor surge, but that's another thread LOL

The further the restriction is from the turbo, the less it matters anyway.
Old 17 April 2007, 07:07 PM
s5ooob
Scooby Regular

Dean,

My original system had a 100 cell sports cat in the downpipe and only started to become a restriction, during mapping, at 320bhp... this could have been as much to with the system behind it being 2.5" as the cat itself.

The car revved very freely and pulled well to 8000rpm in that original guise Also ran my old sti3 with a full decat system and just replaced the centre , come MOT time, with a std. UK cat... passed everytime... with a bit of patience from the tester
Old 17 April 2007, 09:17 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chaps
The 200 Cel, Home built Centre cat Route it is then

Silent running, Have read your thread on Surge, Sounds frustratingly annoying, In the fact that you can have to much boost to soon

I suppose it's like when you load up your Spoon in the Morning with Too many Cornflakes , You have trouble getting it in your mouth & once you do, You struggle to process it all

All the best

Dean
Old 17 April 2007, 11:20 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you're right, never did I think I'd be complaining about too much boost too soon. I dig the cornflakes analogy. I'd more liken it to when you take a big gulp of tea and it's too hot to keep in one place in your mouth, and you can't spit it out, so you have to keep juggling it from one cheek to another until your head has acted as a giant heatsink and the tea's ready to be swallowed without giving third degree burns of the throat LOL
Old 17 April 2007, 11:39 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

tell us what power you are wanting to run in the future

im sure there are some companies that are doing 100 cell sports cat which flow a little better,

i like the new haywood and scott version
Stainless exhausts manifolds headers

as its in the centre im guessing it will also give better performance but will need time to get hot for a mot - just a guess, may be an expert can add something to this
Old 18 April 2007, 02:30 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Long term project will be a 2.5 conversion with a tame 400 Hp aimed for & as im a tight **** I did not want to spend the money on a Cat now only to find out later i had to replace it !!!

The Hot Tea Scenario can be quite embarrising, Especially when the fluids escape & mix with your Sausage & Mash !!

The Haywood & Scott centre cat pipe looks the business, But bloomin Pricey & your right about the heat side, They do take much longer to get up to speed.

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 18 April 2007 at 02:40 PM.