Painting help - please

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2007, 08:42 PM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting help - please

Hi guys.

Bought myself a bigger bonnet scoop for scooby and am attempting to paint it myself.

Got paint etc. from car & motorcycle paints...Everything from car touch up paint to air tools available online. They were very good and supplied some instructions which I followed, but I'm not totally satisfied.

V short version of instructions:

1. Prime - 2 coats
2. Rub down with wet and dry paper
3. Paint - 2-3 coats to desired colour
4. Lacquer - 2 mist coats
5. Apply rubbing compound and polish

Done all this. Coulour match is good (deep blue mica - the metallic flakes are lovely)

Anyway, there is a slight texture to the paintwork so I cant get a mirror like finish.

I think I want to do another wet and dry paper rub down before I polish. Instructions didn't say I should do this so I want some advice please.

Thanks all.
Old 16 April 2007, 06:50 AM
jimbo54
Scooby Regular

Give the scoop a gentle rub with fine grade wet or dry or scotchbrite careful not to go through the colour, wipe off any dust,rub your hand over to remove static give the scoop a wet coat of clear lacquer not a mist coat allow at least 12 hours to dry and flatten down lf needed polish with rubbing compound then wax, l wouldnt waste time polishing what you have its easier to respray.
Old 16 April 2007, 01:54 PM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo54
Give the scoop a gentle rub with fine grade wet or dry or scotchbrite careful not to go through the colour, wipe off any dust,rub your hand over to remove static give the scoop a wet coat of clear lacquer not a mist coat allow at least 12 hours to dry and flatten down lf needed polish with rubbing compound then wax, l wouldnt waste time polishing what you have its easier to respray.
Thanks for this.

I know I mentioned above about the "mist coats", and I'm sure it's a bit like Ronseal (does what it says on the tin), but this is my first attempt at spraying anything, and I don't really know what they meant by mist coat, and now I have a wet coat to deal with.

A little explanation about the difference would be appreciated.

Also "flatten down if needed" - what does this mean too?

Thanks again.