Notices

Fitting a Haywood & Scott d/p

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2007, 01:19 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitting a Haywood & Scott d/p

I got fed-up of changing the d/p to a cat for the Mot and the threat of roadside inspections get closer where I live, so decided to find a good Sport Cat d/pipe.

This is not easy.

My car is a road/racer, I compete in serious hillclimbs with it and those 380 ish bhp are precious.
My old system was a Revolution with decat. A very good system and nicely made, fitted well to with a good mellow soundtrack.
More over it was a 3'' through system.

After a zillion searches, the Haywood & Scott d/p had a lot going for it. The most important ones are the shear size of the sport cat, a huge 5'' in diameter, most others use a 100mm dia cat. This makes the H&S about 20% greater surface area to give a far less restrictive flow through the cat.
They also do the d/p in 3'' all through.

Getting one was not so easy, and getting the info on cats and fitment to the Revolution centre/back box was near impossible, except a chance email to MIL ( Milsport ) about one of their sport systems paid big dividends. Ralph there is a fellow Sti v3 owner and has the same kind of motoring background as me (ie 'Classic'/hot rod) and Ralph sorted everything for me and at a great price (this H&S is the most expensive d/p you can buy).

The pipe has to be wrapped which was a pig of a job due to the shape. Next time it will be ceramic coated!

The whole lot was wire bound to keep it all in place.

Having removed my old system, on it all went bit by bit.
The d/p fitted really well but I had to remove the lower suspension brace to thread it in, and it fouled the gearmox cross member j-u-s-t so needed a tweek to free that.
The Reveloution parts dropped into place a dream! (Ralph and Rev's boss were right).

Sounds fab now, and the sparkle has returned to the car with a good crisp throttle response and a wicked hard not when fully on song.

First race is Easter, so if nothing else it will sound good!

Very special thanks to MIL and Ralph for helping me out!

Graham
Old 01 April 2007, 02:09 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911
I got fed-up of changing the d/p to a cat for the Mot and the threat of roadside inspections get closer where I live, so decided to find a good Sport Cat d/pipe.

This is not easy.

After a zillion searches, the Haywood & Scott d/p had a lot going for it. The most important ones are the shear size of the sport cat, a huge 5'' in diameter, most others use a 100mm dia cat. This makes the H&S about 20% greater surface area to give a far less restrictive flow through the cat.
They also do the d/p in 3'' all through.

The pipe has to be wrapped which was a pig of a job due to the shape. Next time it will be ceramic coated!

The whole lot was wire bound to keep it all in place.

Having removed my old system, on it all went bit by bit.
The d/p fitted really well but I had to remove the lower suspension brace to thread it in, and it fouled the gearmox cross member j-u-s-t so needed a tweek to free that.
The Reveloution parts dropped into place a dream! (Ralph and Rev's boss were right).

Sounds fab now, and the sparkle has returned to the car with a good crisp throttle response and a wicked hard not when fully on song.

First race is Easter, so if nothing else it will sound good!

Very special thanks to MIL and Ralph for helping me out!

Graham
Interesting post Graham.

(Even if in the above pic it looks like your kitchen has been taken over ny aliens !! ).

I'm planning to buy a Ninja sportscat downpipe from Scoobyworld (when they're back in stock!). Do you reckon that's a good option for a 320 to 330bhp 01 Impreza ? Also, is fitting this and swapping the dp, up-pipe and turbo a "DIY" job ? (The turbo swap would be a TD04H for a TD04).

PS Good luck with the racing !

Andy
Old 01 April 2007, 06:25 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Andy.

Those d/p's are in stock at API, saw a long row of them on Friday.

At 300/330 bhp you are ok with the 2.5'' systems. They look very well made to me.
It is all simple DIY, but if the D/p has not been off before, then getting it off the turbo can be a hard job.

Thanks for the racing comment, this season is going to be hard on the car and my bruised ego..
Graham