Possible sti Wagon vs1 purchase and some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2007, 10:40 PM
Plastikman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible sti Wagon vs1 purchase and some Q's

Hi,

Been a few years since Ive been on here, used to have a V's2 Sti RA V-ltd but tried some other cars since then and now im looking at buying a wagon. Thing is Im having trouble id'ing the car.

Nothing dodgy, just that it has WRX sa on the boot, yet the engine bay has that original sti Strutbrace, alloy bonnet, and wishbones and if I remember right it had an STI labelled intercooler, I think? The man who owns the car says that he was told it as an sti and he checked it with the SIDC FAQ model codes etc. Thing is all of the early wagons have the same model code: GF8B58D, the WRX,the SA and the STI. So im fumbling around in the dark here, the car is clean and seems straight and has all the proper paperwork and history.

How else can I tell what version it would be, by the way it doesnt have the autobox which it seems the SA would have. Can I tell by the ECU model number and are there any other tell tale signs? It has doesnt have colour coded door handles.?

If I purchase anyway it seems the SA is only 220 HP, which is pretty much proping up the bottom of the spec list of impreza,s. Thats not good enough, so I would like to get an idea of what mods are needed. Fuelling is probably the most important as dont these engines lean out? what injectors will be a direct replacement ie out of what other spec of impreza, will the TD05 be a good choice? The non sti pistons, are they ok for 280HP.

Quite a few questions, apologies!
Old 25 March 2007, 10:51 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

dont know if this helps matey, but i have a version 1 sti wagon, chassis number gf8 007711, if it is a genuine sti then it should have a plaque with it's number out of 200 or 100 on it on the top of the front drivers side suspension turret under the bonnet.

for the record mine has the original slanty intercooler which is not badged sti and the inlet manifold is just bare metal colour as the version 1 didnt have the red finish either even though it is an sti. the pulley cover is badged sti though. it should have sti badges on both front wings and sti on the steering wheel as well i think. as far as badging goes i think that is it.

if it is an sti then it should be pushing out about 250 bhp as the version 1 was slightly down on power compared to the next version which i think iirc jumped to 276 bhp, im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong. for the record mine is pushing 260 bhp and 252lbft torque totally standard.

make sure you use v power fuel and octane booster and look after it servicing wise and it should be fine, uprated fuel pump wont hurt it, but it's how far ya wanna go, not sure about injectors or the psitons but i would think they should be ok for that sort of power, the sti ones can go from 250 bhp up to about 320-330 bhp reliably, and if it is an sti i think it should have tdo5 as standard, but not 100% certain on that.

hope that helps.
Old 26 March 2007, 08:57 AM
Plastikman
Scooby Regular

bttt