Fitting a Catch tank?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2007, 02:24 AM
highlandwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fitting a Catch tank?

Hi all.

Ive agot a catch tank waiting to be fitted, its got two inlets at the top and a outlet at the bootom.

I take it the two vent pipes from the rocker covers go into the top inlets and then i just vent the outlet to atmosphere? or is there more than two vents i need to bridge in?

anyone know?

thanks.
Old 23 March 2007, 07:14 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most important one is the crankcase breather vent. If you take the intercooler off you can see it quite easily - it's a black tube poking up out of the block teed off one way to under the throttle body and the other way it goes directly into the side of the inlet pipe leading to the turbo. There are a number of different configurations for the plumbing of a catch tank, but mine is 'green' - the pipe to the PCV valve under the throttle body is still connected, the other pipe from the crankcase breather still goes to the inlet pipe but via a closed catch tank, and the rocker cover breathers are left as standard except I've put in a one way valve so that they can never vent into the inlet pipe.
Old 23 March 2007, 07:38 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

you got any pictures of that ??

Cheers
Minty.
Old 23 March 2007, 08:19 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...maybe I'll have a look around. If you PM me your email address I'll try and send something over. I highly recommend having a good search around to see how you want to plumb it all. Everyone does things slightly differently and there's no real 'right' way to do it although plenty of wrong ones. The main decision to make is whether you want to stay green and keep all the gases where they should be, just using the catch tank to strain out oil vapours, or whether you want to just dump the gases out. If you've a decat exhaust you might as well just dump them.
Old 23 March 2007, 10:00 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlandwrx
Hi all.

Ive agot a catch tank waiting to be fitted, its got two inlets at the top and a outlet at the bootom.

I take it the two vent pipes from the rocker covers go into the top inlets and then i just vent the outlet to atmosphere? or is there more than two vents i need to bridge in?

anyone know?

thanks.
I may be wrong, but i think you will find that the outlet at the bottom is your drain to let any residues out of the catch tank, and the top pipes are one in one out.

I would put the catch can on your crank case breather before doing the head breathers.