Notices

Ej20g COP conversion to EJ20K waste spark style.....

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2007, 12:18 PM
supermoose
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ej20g COP conversion to EJ20K waste spark style.....

ok. so perhaps we could start a thread accumulating information on how to do this? I know there are alot of coilpack failures of the EJ20G style coilpack.

Jollygreenmonster and zen performance have both done this - in differnt ways. Would you guys be kind enough to explain your differnt methods of attack and your thoughts of the conversion?

Also- an alternative solution would be to convert to the newer style bugeye/blob-i individual coilpacks - newer is better right?

for ease of troubleshooting though, perhaps we could focus on EJ20K style - Cheap, easy, and relatively easy to find the parts.

I've been doing some research-
to start:

Ej20G has individual ECU outputs to ignition - so cylinder 1/2/3/4 all have seperate ECU signals
Ej20K is waste spark, and the ecu sends signal to cylinder 1/2 and cylinder 3/4, so the central coil module sends signal to paired front and paired rear cylinders...... so when cylinder 1 needs to fire cylinder 2 gets a spark as well (although its wasted - hence the name waste spark).

lets forgo debate on which system is better theoretically - just focus on the fact that the older COP system does fail -OFTEN.

so to do this conversion one would need to:

merge the signal from ignitor (or ecu) for 1/2 and 3/4 (make 4 signals = 2 signals)

somehow feed them to the central coilpack - iirc, the ej20K central coilpack has 3 wires going into it from the ignitor - 2 are signals for front and rear firing pairs, one is a ground.

in my mind, one would just merge all4 grounds to one and connect to the ground on the central coilpack, then connect power wires for 1/2 and 3/4 into their respective pairs on the central coilpack- correct?

Sidenote;

IF you were popping in a complete EJ20K longmotor into your car, you could:

connect spark 1/2 and 3/4 at the engine harness connectors, and run a ground to the ground wire that the central coilpack is connected to. Pending everything else on the EJ20K engine harness connects to the ej20G body harness, one could have a pretty much plug and play conversion of EJ20K full engine into EJ20G car- Thus converting to straight inlet style manifold, Titanium hollow valves, and lower compression to more boost- and a nice reliable Waste spark coil system. Obviously remapping is part of it- but if you're pondering doing this kind of thing.........

Has anyone had an experiance of this sort?

sorry for the long thread. gears turning in brain, looking at EJ20K full longmotor i have and pondering which way is best to stuff it in my 95 RA :P

thank you folks for putting up with my usdm stupidity :P
Old 19 March 2007, 10:03 PM
Simon Roe
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is what I did

22B Bulletin Board: 98 coilpack wiring

Simon