Notices

Adjusting boost.

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2007, 07:26 PM
danwrx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting boost.

I have a 97 wrx wagon. It is fitted with the td04 turbo, which is the smaller turbo. I was wondering if i can get the boost turned up for extra power or is this likely to cause problems?

I also have a turbo timer which gives the impression you can adjust the boost through. But i don't know if its wired up as its not giving any info on the turbo, only giving it the cool down time.

Anyone help?
Old 05 March 2007, 10:18 PM
seanie boy
Scooby Regular

i would leave it alone my one didnt like it much
Old 05 March 2007, 10:29 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

the turbo timer is simply a device to 'time' the cool-down of the engine after you switch off. It keeps it running long enough to allow the turbo to cool whilst water and oil is still being circulated - its a replacement for not sitting in the car for a minute before switching off (Or simply taking it easy for the last minute of driving !)

It won't control the boost in any way....

A dawes device could be used to lift the boost slightly (and it will come in more quickly as it is an improvement in the boost control line) whilst staying within the boost limits (fuel cut) of the ECU. I'd recommend a knock link display and possibly AFR meter too though, to keep an eye open for any extra knock from the engine (or dodgy air/fuel readings).

I modified my old UK classic (when it was running a TD04) in the manner to go from .9 bar to 1.1 quite successfully and had no problems.

Its worth noting that the UK is already adjusted for UK RON fuel though - you should make sure that your import (assuming it is an import ?) is mapped correctly before pushing it too hard !

Hope this helps - and the usual comments regarding this being IMHO, rather than any advice given with support or cash back etc.

Mark