Notices

Hazard Light Switch

Old 04 February 2007, 01:48 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard Light Switch

Last night I had cause to use my hazard lights. I noticed when glancing for the hazard light switch (it was after dark) that I couldn't see the switch easily and had to fiddle around and then the penny dropped that the switch wasn't illuminated (around the red triangle).

Question is should this be illuminated when the lights are on? Can't say I have ever noticed one way or the other before and am wondering if I have a bulb out? Car is a MY02 WRX.

I know the same switch on my other cars illuminates when lights are turned on to make finding it in the dark easier.

Last edited by Palmo; 04 February 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04 February 2007, 05:09 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Yep, it should be illuminated. I had a replacement one once, on a warrenty claim, and was told that to buy, it would cost around £60+ as you need a whole new switch!!

On my next car, this went again, so I got the old switch, and bought a replacement bulb from Wire Terminal Type
and fixed it in the switch.

VOILA!!! a lighted switch for all of about 80p.

Last edited by PICKLE; 04 February 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06 February 2007, 09:51 AM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PICKLE
Yep, it should be illuminated. I had a replacement one once, on a warrenty claim, and was told that to buy, it would cost around £60+ as you need a whole new switch!!

On my next car, this went again, so I got the old switch, and bought a replacement bulb from Wire Terminal Type
and fixed it in the switch.

VOILA!!! a lighted switch for all of about 80p.
Thanks very much for advice. I'm going to get one of these today from Maplin's. On your link I noticed there are two bulbs, one is 12V the other 28v, take it I need the 12v? When you say you 'fixed it in the switch' do you mean you simply replaced the original bulb (straight swap) or did you have to start soldering etc. Would be grateful on a little more info on this.

Cheers.

Last edited by Palmo; 06 February 2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06 February 2007, 05:23 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Stripped Hazard switch out today and to be honest it doesn't look like it should be illuminated at all?

When you say you had a replacement one under warrenty and then repaired a later switch are you talking about on a Subaru or another car - certainly doesn't look like my switch has ever been illuminated - i.e. no wiring for this and the switch symbol is actually just painted on upon closer inspection - no where for light to pass through? My car is a 2002 Newage.