STI 05 PPP Query

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 04:15 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 05 PPP Query

Ive got a couple of questions so im putting this in general

PPP for STI 05, is the front 'up-pipe' (the one from the manifold to the turbo) the one that gets changed, ive still got a noise when the car starts from cold that comes from that area so its one of the following; PPP up-pipe blowing till warm, cam noise, injector noise or 'they all do that sir'

The reason im asking, apart from the 20 year old banger startup noise is that its started hunting and occationally stalling at startup, once warm its rock solid and makes the right noises.

2nd part of my questions is ive looked at my from pads i can see there is about 6mm left (4 mm to scraper), does anyone know how much they start with (ive done 17,200 on them so far) so i can judge when to buget for some

Thanks

Simon
Old 01 February 2007, 06:09 PM
killa
Scooby Regular

I think only in the USA they change the up pipe on the sti,
in the uk and eu they only change
down pipe to a high flow pipe
decat pipe directly after the down pipe, get rid of the cat
prodrive back box
prodrive ecu

if you are running standard pad they might have some sensors on them so when they get low make a funny sound from the pads so you know you need to source some more..

Your car should not have any start up problems so take it back to the subaru dealers and tell them to sort out the noise from the engine area, was the noise there before the ppp was fitted?
Old 01 February 2007, 06:10 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the STi the up-pipe is not changed as it doesn't have a cat. The downpipe is changed to a high flow cat version and the 2nd cat is deleted with a straight through section. The resonator section is retained but of course, the back box is changed.
After the PPP was fitted on my STi there would be a "spitty" kind of sound for a few minutes, until the system warmed up. I was told it was the exhaust passing through the high flow cat as the cat heated up, and as you know, the cat runs at a very high temp. If you have a leak before the cat, you should be able to smell the exhaust. Certainly, your engine should run perfectly well during the warm-up period, with no stalling, so there could well be a leak at the exhaust manifold or up-pipe. This could well cause confusion for the lambda sensor. I think it needs investigating!
JohnD
Old 02 February 2007, 09:31 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, i didnt think the up-pipe was changed, youve confirmed that.

Noise only started when the PPP was fitted (1000 miles) the hunting has only started at about 15k, i did take the car back twice in the 1st 2k, but gave up with their i caant hear anything/we forgot to listen when we started it are you sure it wasnt next doors cat etc....

The hunting/stalling is bothering me so i'll think i'll take it in for that problem only before the service, and if they dont cure it they dont get my service custom

Simon

Last edited by BlueSimon; 02 February 2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling