Notices

The next step after buying a 04WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2007, 01:10 AM
Flat4matt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The next step after buying a 04WRX?

Getting rid of the sport, next week hopefully and getting a wrx 04 plate. i know its going to be a big step up from a NA 2ltr sport but was just wondering what you lot would do performance wise on a wrx to get it upto STi standards or somewhere near an STi, would a remap with a good exhaust system and an upgrade in suspension be a good start?
im totally new to turbod motors as you can tell, just afew ideas would be great.
By the way before i do go ahead with any tuning, handling or braking changes im going to get used to the standard set up first. i was just keen on what would be the next step up after that.
thanx,
Matt
Old 29 January 2007, 01:21 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

1. Cheap first step, Whiteline 22mm rear ARB and solid (steel) links. £160ish
2. Again, cheap. Goodridge braided lines with DOT 5.1 fluid and some Pagid Blue or Ferodo DSPF pads. £150ish
3. Decat up-pipe, sports cat down-pipe and decat'd centre with a decent free-flowing BB, allied to a remap to get IRO 280-290bhp. £1k+/-
4. To keep it all under control, AST Sportlines with a good geo set-up. £1k ish
5. Vredestein UltraC tyres as and when you need to replace. £300^
Old 29 January 2007, 11:42 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

drive it for a while get used to it before you start or you will end up owning a car you carnt drive to the max
Old 29 January 2007, 01:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Flat4matt
Getting rid of the sport, next week hopefully and getting a wrx 04 plate. i know its going to be a big step up from a NA 2ltr sport but was just wondering what you lot would do performance wise on a wrx to get it upto STi standards or somewhere near an STi, would a remap with a good exhaust system and an upgrade in suspension be a good start?
im totally new to turbod motors as you can tell, just afew ideas would be great.
By the way before i do go ahead with any tuning, handling or braking changes im going to get used to the standard set up first. i was just keen on what would be the next step up after that.
thanx,
Matt
Two things spring to mind

1) If you want Sti performance, why not get an STi? (not being funny, just asking you to consider whether you're buying the car you want?)

2) I'd leave any mods for now; just concentrate on enjoying a perfectly good car as it is for a while (well, maybe a louder backbox ) and take it easy; there is lots of nonsense posted on these types of bbs about wrxs being slow etc.. They are more than quick enough to get you into trouble, especially coming up from a sport.

Have fun,

Ns04
Old 29 January 2007, 01:24 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Good point about buying an STi, and I'd urge you to think about it before spending. You will probably pick up an 03 STi for similar price as 04 WRX.

I was new to the subaru world, drove a cpl and looked around. Ended up with a WRX and ever since have been slowly modding to get it to the standard of the STi I should have, and wished I had bought. By the time you've spent on mods and declared them you will find an STi would have been as cheap to buy and insure.

The WRX is in no way a 'poor relation' to the STi don't get me wrong. I enjoy every second driving my car, but I just wished I'd bought an STi.
Old 29 January 2007, 03:00 PM
New_scooby_04

There are good reasons to get a WRX over an Sti and then modify it to Sti levels, especially if refinement and comfort are important to you. The STi is a bit too much like hard work for some; it's the price you pay for its rawer and more focused nature; appeals to some, not to others!

That's not to say that the WRX owners don't want some of the extra omph to go withe the WRXs more relaxed demeanour. You just need to be aware that if the car is in warranty your only option to modify it without invalidating the warranty is PPP which limits you to 260 (which, is enough for most, to be fair). If you go beyond that, not only do you invalidate your warranty, but you also start spending sums that mean that if might have made considerable more financial sense to get an STi.

Ns04
Old 30 January 2007, 01:53 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible to get to 260-270 BHP for just over half what the PPP costs. Buy a used Prodrive Back box, centre decat pipe and sports cat (i.e STI PPP exhaust parts). You could also add a straight through pipe to remove the centre silencer. Add a panel filter and a remap total cost approx £1000. PPP cost £1600 - £1800 and the map is not specific to your car. Would invalidate your warranty though so would depend on your feelings on that.
Old 30 January 2007, 07:43 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

And for the real sti effect make sure you add plenty of ballast!
Old 30 January 2007, 11:11 AM
boxman2000
Scooby Regular

Matt

I too am in a similar position (05WRX) and kinda wish I'd gone for an STi - I agree with NS04 though, WRX is a fine motor and for alot of people it's perfectly adequate.

Anyway, my point - I'm from Guernsey and my local dealer fits the PPP kits..... (so what I hear you ask)....... well, we don't have VAT so you'd be saving yourself 17.5% straight off plus keep your warranty alive.

I don't know how valid this would be, i.e. whether customs would say anything (how they would know I'm not sure) but it's certainly a possible option. Plus you could top your petrol up with 66p/litre Optimax to save yourself a few quid!!!!

PJ
Old 30 January 2007, 11:16 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

There has been a post recently saying they've had PPP fitted in UK for 1100, which seems to be the cheapest price. The cost (rather bizarrely IMO) does seem to vary widely throughout the dealer network so it would definately pay to shop around for a PPP upgrade if doing it within the UK.

Edited to say : The PPP map isn't specific to your car, it's a map which will work safely in a wide variety of operating conditions, which is why the warranty is preserved.

It would be worth finding out if a PPP mapped ECU could later be Ecutek mapped after the warranty period had expired. If you could get your PPP for 1100, then at a later date get an Ecutek for 550-ish (or openECU for even less ~300) then it wouldn't have cost you anymore than paying the more expensive price of 1600 for the PPP in the first place, just a thought.

For reference
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...light=PPP+1100

Last edited by funkyspider; 30 January 2007 at 11:23 AM.