Notices

STi Panel Filter (JDM) Vs Green : Apexi IDC

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2007, 09:00 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STi Panel Filter (JDM) Vs Green : Apexi IDC

Me thinks that the Green Panel filter has much better flow then the STi JDM type.

I have had a JDM STi filter in the car for about 18 months and had it both TEK mapped and Apexi Mapped in that time.

With the Apexi at 1.35bar the Injector Duty would peak at approx 97.5% IDC, fairly consistent and never breach the Injector limit set in the map.

I have just renewed the STi filter for a Green and the IDC hits 98% and even 100% when really ragging it.

Hence the statement above "Me thinks that the Green Panel filter has much better flow then the STi JDM type". Although not sure how they compare on filtration.

The Apexi seems to have the fuelling under control though as AFR seems little different and TBH needs leaning out about 0.5AFR.
Old 20 January 2007, 09:32 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I would tend to agree with you as I've just done this exact same swap, seeing injector duties jump at least 10%, overboost 0.15 bar and MAF voltage up 0.2v. However, to be fair, I did some mild porting of the throttle body and inlet manifold as well as replaced the standard plastic turbo inlet pipe with a silicone one, and my new Green filter was a TSL/Group N Green.
Old 20 January 2007, 09:39 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't you fitting the Apexi induction kit now nick?
Old 20 January 2007, 10:02 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott.T
Me thinks that the Green Panel filter has much better flow then the STi JDM type.

I have had a JDM STi filter in the car for about 18 months and had it both TEK mapped and Apexi Mapped in that time.

With the Apexi at 1.35bar the Injector Duty would peak at approx 97.5% IDC, fairly consistent and never breach the Injector limit set in the map.

I have just renewed the STi filter for a Green and the IDC hits 98% and even 100% when really ragging it.

Hence the statement above "Me thinks that the Green Panel filter has much better flow then the STi JDM type". Although not sure how they compare on filtration.

The Apexi seems to have the fuelling under control though as AFR seems little different and TBH needs leaning out about 0.5AFR.
Also comparing an old STi element with a new Green one is going to show a difference.. worth buying a new STi one to compare?!

Simon
Old 21 January 2007, 12:25 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silent running
I would tend to agree with you as I've just done this exact same swap, seeing injector duties jump at least 10%, overboost 0.15 bar and MAF voltage up 0.2v. However, to be fair, I did some mild porting of the throttle body and inlet manifold as well as replaced the standard plastic turbo inlet pipe with a silicone one, and my new Green filter was a TSL/Group N Green.
the silicone inlet pipe will alter the boost.. whcih will alter the maf voltage, which will alter the IDC..

I presume Scott is still seeing the same boost?

Simon
Old 21 January 2007, 09:08 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Also comparing an old STi element with a new Green one is going to show a difference.. worth buying a new STi one to compare?!

Simon
And I bet that fitting a new std filter will outflow the lot - for a while.
5 or 10k miles on each filter may well show up a totally different result.

Nick
Old 21 January 2007, 11:07 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes I am fitting a Power Intake - because I'm planning a FMIC soon so no choice. Otherwise I'd keep the Green. It sounds right meaty compared to the STi. And yes I am pretty sure that my airflow gains are not JUST down to the Green. But the STi always felt 'thick' if you get what I mean - you can't see light through it, you can't feel anything if you blow through it, and when you put the STi next to the Green you can tell straight away that the Green is going to walk it as far as airflow goes. But presumably the STi would be better at filtration and its built like a battleship. I can't imagine anything getting through that.

Trending Topics

Old 21 January 2007, 08:05 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster

Simon
Possibley, but the Apexi has always been up in the 97's IDC with the STi and the apexi has been in there a year now.

Last edited by Scott.T; 21 January 2007 at 08:16 PM.