Notices

2007 STi - jdm, usa, euro-spec differences

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 09:38 AM
cj3
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 STi - jdm, usa, euro-spec differences

I am about to purchase a brand new 2007 Subaru Impreza STi. Hopefully, i'll be a true member of this board soon...

Since i'm offered different market version (JDM, USDM, EURO-spec) by the local dealer, my question is which car should i choose. I know that all cars are produces in Japan, but depending on the target market there is are differences. So, please, share your knowledge and expirience...

I'm particularly intetested at least in the following:

1. Are all differentials (especially the central and the rear one) the same for all specs?
2. Does any (or all) 2.5 STi engines have forged pistons?
3. Is there a differences in the 2.5 STi engine head between different market specs?
4. Is there a difference between the JDM, USDM and Euro-spec cars in the construction - chassis, anti-roll bars, etc.?
5. Is there a difference in the quality of the assembling parts? I've heard rumors that the J-spec parts are stronger.
6. All 2007 Sti have either 4S or JF1 in the VIN. As far as my research goes "4S" stands for the usa market, and "JF1" for the Japanese. Should i draw any conclusion for the version type and therefore the quality of the vehicle?

Thanks!
Old 05 January 2007, 09:41 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

in short the JDM is the one to get
Old 05 January 2007, 11:20 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

JDM will only be available RHD and a real pain to get hold of, US spec STi is pretty similar to EU car, don't be fooled by the different quoted power outputs as the engine is basically the same. This all points at an EU car being the one to go for.

1. Not quite but things like the torque split are the same. There are several different specs of JDM car though

2. No 2.5 is fitted with forged pistons

3. Not that makes any real difference

4. Spring and damper rates vary but the body is basically the same

5. 2.0 & 2.5 engines use different parts but they aren't necessarily stronger although 2.0 pistons do seem to be more durable.

6. An EU car has a chassis number starting JF1, not sure about the others

Mike

PS

Didn't see any STis at all when I was over there last year so you'll have something fairly rare I guess.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:42 PM
cj3
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MikeWood
JDM will only be available RHD and a real pain to get hold of, US spec STi is pretty similar to EU car, don't be fooled by the different quoted power outputs as the engine is basically the same. This all points at an EU car being the one to go for.

1. Not quite but things like the torque split are the same. There are several different specs of JDM car though
I've read that torgue is supposed to be the same, but I'm particularly interested if all cars (2007 STi) are equipped with the same differential type. I friend told me that some european vehicles come with the old spec standart wisco diff.

By the way, Thank you for the detailed answer!
Old 05 January 2007, 01:30 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Some 05MY EU cars came without DCCD-A ie with a viscous centre diff. This isn't a spec taken in the UK officially but was taken in some other EU markets as a cheaper alternative. Not sure if this happened for 06 or 07MY but you should ask if the car has DCCD-A. If it hasn't then hold out for one that has.

Mike
Old 05 January 2007, 01:48 PM
cj3
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Some 05MY EU cars came without DCCD-A ie with a viscous centre diff. This isn't a spec taken in the UK officially but was taken in some other EU markets as a cheaper alternative. Not sure if this happened for 06 or 07MY but you should ask if the car has DCCD-A. If it hasn't then hold out for one that has.

Mike
How can one tell if the car is equipped with DCCD-A ? Could you tell by the VIN or by another number somewhere on the car?
Old 05 January 2007, 02:27 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cj3
How can one tell if the car is equipped with DCCD-A ? Could you tell by the VIN or by another number somewhere on the car?
they should have a switch on the drive train tunnel (allowing you to switch between modes) and it also shows up above the dccd indicator on the dash when in -A mode