Notices

coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2007, 10:43 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil packs

right, i now a bit about these cars. but theres one thing I'm not to sure about, these coil packs

how do i check if there OK, or if any which one is iffy.
th reason i ask, my cars pick up is a little slow. been in touch with a couple of tuners, and they say check the plugs. well there no on the other week. so they said check the coils, how?

if anyone has any info on these things,
share the wealth
Old 02 January 2007, 10:50 PM
martinholmesuk
Scooby Newbie

I'd also like to know
Old 02 January 2007, 10:59 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

so the thread is started

there must be a way of testing the things.
Old 02 January 2007, 11:26 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

I could be wrong but I believe a general multimeter can be used to check the resistance and your eyes to check for cracks etc.... cant help with values to check for on the meter but I'm sure it will be in one of the many threads on coil packs somewhere.
Old 02 January 2007, 11:33 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yamarashi
I could be wrong but I believe a general multimeter can be used to check the resistance and your eyes to check for cracks etc.... cant help with values to check for on the meter but I'm sure it will be in one of the many threads on coil packs somewhere.
i know about cracks but you can get around this. taking these things off can crack them very easy. so you put insulasion tape around the head of the thing. got told that by a tuner a while ago.

just need to find out how to check if there naff
Old 02 January 2007, 11:45 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

You'll need to check and compare the resistance of each coil pack with an ohm meter .... You could also try decreasing the plug gap and see if it runs any better ... as a smaller plug gap helps a failing coil pack work better.

Although saying all that the Coil packs usually give a noticeable missfire type symptom rather than slow pickup ... have you cleaned the boost solenoid and its relative pipework.
Old 03 January 2007, 12:00 AM
dabow
Scooby Regular

You'll need to check and compare the resistance of each coil pack with an ohm meter .... You could also try decreasing the plug gap and see if it runs any better ... as a smaller plug gap helps a failing coil pack work better.

Although saying all that the Coil packs usually give a noticeable missfire type symptom rather than slow pickup ... have you cleaned the boost solenoid and its relative pipework.
im getting a slight misfire on tick over. but i dont know which one it could be, regards the plugs. there new. ngk platinum type,

do you know the resistance for these things at all.
i don't get any cel light on at all. + my boost is a lot lower. every thing in/on the car works fine.

it started last week, i was booting (like you do) and all of a suden. it was like a fuel/boost cut.
but i've been told to check the plugs + coils.
thanks for that info anyway mate

Last edited by dabow; 03 January 2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03 January 2007, 12:09 AM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

You dont tend to get cel lights on with coil pack issues and be aware that you can still have a faulty plug even if they are new as then can get damaged when being fitted etc or they may be incorrectly gapped. Its still worth taking them out and checking / reducing the gap to the size as recommended by many on this site.

Sorry cant help with the resistance values but if you can pull the coil packs off one at a time while the engine idles you should be able to isolate the one causing the missfire. (not sure how easy or practical this is on the multiple coilpack setup as I have the single coilpack and HTleads) but watch out for getting a jolt if you do try it ... rubber gloves anyone
Old 03 January 2007, 12:15 AM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Wink

rubber gloves hay.

i know its some thing to do with eather the coils/plugs, just as you say. the cel lights not on

im getting another set of plugs, i would never disconect one at a time with these multi coils system. the engine could det.

i may get lucky with just testing each coil.

if no joy. i'll be back
Old 03 January 2007, 11:40 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the coils tend to fail due to the heat cycle the go through with engine warming and cooling etc.. if one is failing then they are all close.. they tend to last around 4~5years and 80~100k miles from experiance.

They should be replaced as a set.

Simon
Old 03 January 2007, 11:54 AM
dabow
Scooby Regular

any idea to how much a ful set would be mate. i was told a while ago by subaru that they were doing them for around £45 each. but that was the other year.
Old 03 January 2007, 11:59 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around 250 a set.. there have been copies mentioned on here but not tried them.. I have converted my own car to run a 98 coil pack and leads but I don;t have a standard ecu or ignition so cannot confirm it would be fine to do that on the standard car.

Simon
Old 03 January 2007, 05:01 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

there are some on e-bay at the mo. £50 each, see if i can get them. but if its not the plugs/coils. what else should i try
Old 03 January 2007, 05:19 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

MAF sensor?????
Old 03 January 2007, 05:33 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
MAF sensor?????
thats fine, had that checked.
Old 04 January 2007, 09:08 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

API Engines are a good source for coil packs. They can post them out next day. Last set was £214 with postage but they may have gone up.
Old 04 January 2007, 09:13 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

thanks for that mate, i've also been looking at these other type ones. they look & do the same.

they want £200 for the full set. the Jolly Green Monster was on about them,
im going to look into them first.
Old 05 January 2007, 08:39 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Just looked back on an old post of mine from 2002.....https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...ack+resistance
Old 05 January 2007, 11:04 AM
dabow
Scooby Regular

that will come in handy. thanks for that mate.
Old 05 January 2007, 11:44 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coil packs - Hmmmm,

If one is on the way out then the other three will not be far behind. We had a guy buy 4; one at a time back in the spring and would not be advised that they were all on the way out. Even as he ordered the third one he still insisted that he didn't need all four. Oh well, some you can help - some go they own way.

New genuine coil packs are £48 each here plus carriage of 8 quid plus VAT total £235.00 to your door.

JGM is correct, it is the heat range that does for them and testing the resistance cold is not going to give you the value for when you get them up to engine operating temperature. Cracks in the plastic around the firing electrode is the obvious spot for a failed one and I an extremely dubious about taping them back to fix the problem.
They are such a bugger to change that why go to all the trouble of taking it out and taping it re-fitting it and then doing it all again when it proves fruitless ?

We certainly couldn't charge a customer twice for trying to save him money by doing a tape job and then doing it again because it didn't work.

Worth a try I suppose, if you are doing it at home, but in a chargeable situation not really feasible.

David APi
Old 05 January 2007, 12:10 PM
fwdnutz
Scooby Regular

Location: 24hr endurance driving tracks by day, Trucks by night!!!

sorry to hijack your thread "dabow" but does anyone (APIDAVE) recommend and suplply an alternative to the std import coil packs i have seen the gtrr33 boys using splitfire versions but are these available for ej20?
the problem is i am encountering problems with my car on acceleration at around 5000 rpm in higher gears i get what feels like a ignition cut/fuel cut out which hits then when you back off and boost again it sometimes clears through it for a short while i have tried closing the gaps and it still happens i am running an 95 wrx import with an esl chip kit which has been mapped by Andy to run 440cc yellow injectors and warlboro fuel pump with unequal tubular manifold and full 3" hks decat sytem, hks induction kit and fmic boost is controlled bt apexi avcr and map allow boost to run upto 1.4bar i am currently running 1.3 bar at 65% duty but this cut is just bloody Annoying especially when overtaking can be a reet pain i have been advised if its not the coil packs then it could be the ignition amplifier is this correct or could it be something else i am missing?
Old 05 January 2007, 12:46 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fwdnutz
sorry to hijack your thread "dabow" but does anyone (APIDAVE) recommend and suplply an alternative to the std import coil packs i have seen the gtrr33 boys using splitfire versions but are these available for ej20?
the problem is i am encountering problems with my car on acceleration at around 5000 rpm in higher gears i get what feels like a ignition cut/fuel cut out which hits then when you back off and boost again it sometimes clears through it for a short while i have tried closing the gaps and it still happens i am running an 95 wrx import with an esl chip kit which has been mapped by Andy to run 440cc yellow injectors and warlboro fuel pump with unequal tubular manifold and full 3" hks decat sytem, hks induction kit and fmic boost is controlled bt apexi avcr and map allow boost to run upto 1.4bar i am currently running 1.3 bar at 65% duty but this cut is just bloody Annoying especially when overtaking can be a reet pain i have been advised if its not the coil packs then it could be the ignition amplifier is this correct or could it be something else i am missing?
Mocom sell the Bosch alternative solution which uses 4 seperate bosch coild mounted on the inner wings and HT leads run to the plugs. But the cost isn't far off genuine coils.
Old 05 January 2007, 01:03 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Bosch ones are good but aren't a great dealer cheaper and make the engine bay look all messy as they don't fit in place of the originals.

As for fwdnutz ' hijack ' above: that sounds like a fuel cut rather than a misfire. Could be caused by a boost spike or any number of other related problems of a similar vein.

Coil packs and plugs tend to misfire as you load the plug, rather than whilst it is loaded. I.E. as you floor it, instead of during the flooring.

Can you still do an ECU check using the diagnostic wires under the dash using that chip? That'd be the easiest way to tell whats goiung on rather than changing parts because you thought it was that. If you can get the ECU to tell you what it doesn't like, that'll be the way to go in my opinion.

David APi
Old 05 January 2007, 04:23 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

i need to sort something out, i changed the turbo + the standard cat to a sports 100 cell type. the seemed a little quicker. but still dont seem to have the get up & go anymore. + when in higher revs, seems to kind of cut out. the cels not on, i've changed the plugs. the only thing is the coils really. as api guy says, recommend to change all four.

but what would be best, standard ones or the slightly less cheaper ones. there's really only £35 difference. but if i do change all the coils + plugs again, what next.
Old 05 January 2007, 05:25 PM
fwdnutz
Scooby Regular

Location: 24hr endurance driving tracks by day, Trucks by night!!!

ok thanks for the reply guys! i thought it may be something to do with the boost controller so will look in this area, as for apidavid no i am not getting any errors from cel but will try a reset in morning according to Andy at esl the chip still retains the ecu checklight codes as std, possibly it is overboosting/spiking will experiment later!
as for dabow i would check all your connections m8 and check that all your crank sensors/cam sensors are working fine as my m8 has recently had similar misfire prob at tickover and it turned out to be a faulty cam sensor! which did`nt show itself on the check light
Old 05 January 2007, 05:41 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fwdnutz
ok thanks for the reply guys! i thought it may be something to do with the boost controller so will look in this area, as for apidavid no i am not getting any errors from cel but will try a reset in morning according to Andy at esl the chip still retains the ecu checklight codes as std, possibly it is overboosting/spiking will experiment later!
as for dabow i would check all your connections m8 and check that all your crank sensors/cam sensors are working fine as my m8 has recently had similar misfire prob at tickover and it turned out to be a faulty cam sensor! which did`nt show itself on the check light
solved the problem regards to the missfire. the rubber hose which goes to the turbo had split. the only problem i now have is slightly grogy if trying to pull off quick, + on quickening/high revs. it seems to cut out, the last time i had this sort of problem, well the last two times.

1) there was the wrong plugs - had to change them to ngk platinum.
2) one of the coils was on its way out.

i've asked esl as my chipping unit was from them, he says check the plugs/coils too.
Old 05 January 2007, 06:07 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Why not fit the single coil and HT leads ... should work out a lot cheaper with a second hand coil and some new HT leads. It looks like Jolly Green Monster has done exactly that so should be able to point out the best way to wire it up!.... then no more messing with these expensive and potentially frail multiple coil packs.... its what I would do if i didn't already have the single coil setup!
Old 05 January 2007, 07:38 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Why not fit the single coil and HT leads ... should work out a lot cheaper with a second hand coil and some new HT leads. It looks like Jolly Green Monster has done exactly that so should be able to point out the best way to wire it up!.... then no more messing with these expensive and potentially frail multiple coil packs.... its what I would do if i didn't already have the single coil setup!
the wiring is completly different on 93/96.
+ the single coils are quicker than the ht leads. this is also why they have gone back to them.

as most will say, when these coils are new, they are good for upto 80k. thats about the same as the single coils.

i dont knowwhen they were changed. i've only had the car for a year & a half. the other thing ive never liked with ht leads, is the heads coming off them.

went out tonite for a raz in the car, & it never played up. so im know very sure that one or more are on there way out.
most of these posts are very imformative. so thanks guys.