Notices

Full 3" system on newage with no remap.

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2006, 03:30 PM
jimboturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full 3" system on newage with no remap.

I've just bought a full 3" straight through system for my MY01 Bug.
I've discovered that I have to fit the whole system as the exhaust won't mate up to the original downpipe as a "cat back".
If I fit the whole system including the downpipe am I risking damage to the engine if I don't get a remap? There is no way I can aford the £600+ for a remap but would love to fit the exhaust as it just cost me over £300 and is useless otherwise.

Cheers people!!

Last edited by jimboturbo; 30 December 2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 30 December 2006, 04:51 PM
ian10
Scooby Regular

the exhaust may throw up a cell light cause of removal of cats
may also over boost
Old 30 December 2006, 04:53 PM
jimboturbo
Scooby Regular

Does the ecu have some sort of safeguard to protect against this overboosting?
Old 30 December 2006, 05:07 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

Also have 01 bug, done several search's on here and the overboosting problem kept cropping up if fitting full de-cat,but saying that i know someone on here who has done it with no prob's so far that i've heard.He did have a cell fix fitted though.
Old 30 December 2006, 05:15 PM
jimboturbo
Scooby Regular

Is yours a WRX Gunner? From what I can gather from searches it seems to be he STIs that have the overboost issue.
I'd love to fit this exhaust but I'd feel a bit of a **** to say the least if the engine went bang because of it.
Old 30 December 2006, 05:42 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

I never had any problems with over boost when i fully decated mine it is a 2.5" system though.
It through up a cell light when i decated the up pipe
Old 30 December 2006, 05:44 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

Friend's car is wrx bug which has been done,i bought prodrive downpipe with the sport's cat to fit to my own as i have several other goodie's as well going on in the new year and will deffo need re-map. PM this guy pauld37 you will find his profile in the meet's section under Southern Dorset meet's . He is the one with the car done.

Last edited by GUNNER; 30 December 2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 30 December 2006, 07:25 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

my newage sti ran like a bag of spanners and was not happy with the full 3" exhaust in situ. Luckily my mapping session was completed on the same day.
Old 30 December 2006, 07:28 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

just remembered I had my 18G fit at the same time which may have had a direct effect (although never used any boost on my way to map). Car idled erratically though in traffic.........
Old 30 December 2006, 07:32 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

fit a full 3" system and you do indeed run a risk of boost spikes and DET.

If you do not intend on having a remap straight away then the best thing to stop that boost spike is to fit a dawes device and reign in the boost.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 30 December 2006, 08:15 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She will run.. but det like crazy after 5,500rpm mate.

You will need an uprated fuelpump too. You can fit the fuelpump and exhaust together and it will stop the det but she will be very very rich until you have it mapped.

It will det like crazy with just the pipe fitted. Personally id wait to have it mapped properly.. you say you cant afford £600 for a map... so can you afford £1500+ for a new engine when it melts a piston or ***** a big end bearing because you skimped on a mapping session?

Why not jump on this Group buy @ Mocom Racing.. £399 for a full mapping session.. you'd be nuts to pass it up.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ml#post6371793
Old 30 December 2006, 11:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Hmmm

Not sure if de-catting the WRX Bugeye with a TD04L Turbo will cause a shed load of problems. just not much of an advantage !

The Denso ECU has a lot of spare capacity to cope with changes, as long as the MAF and Lambda are in good order It should deal with a de-cat.

It will however throw CEL P0420 requiring a CEL fix or re-map to get rid of !!

The spool up should be a "bit" better (the TD04 spools up pretty early LOL) and the sound will change but not sure if there would be a noticable performance gain and possibly some loss due to the lack of back pressure

Personally I'd sell on the 3" exhaust..........then get rid of your centre cat, change the back box, fit a better panel filter and get the car mapped

Shaun
Old 31 December 2006, 01:38 AM
jimboturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Hmmm

Not sure if de-catting the WRX Bugeye with a TD04L Turbo will cause a shed load of problems. just not much of an advantage !

The Denso ECU has a lot of spare capacity to cope with changes, as long as the MAF and Lambda are in good order It should deal with a de-cat.

It will however throw CEL P0420 requiring a CEL fix or re-map to get rid of !!

The spool up should be a "bit" better (the TD04 spools up pretty early LOL) and the sound will change but not sure if there would be a noticable performance gain and possibly some loss due to the lack of back pressure

Personally I'd sell on the 3" exhaust..........then get rid of your centre cat, change the back box, fit a better panel filter and get the car mapped

Shaun
To be honest Shaun this is pretty much what I'm thinking. If I was gonna remove one cat would I not be better off doing the DP cat as the sensor is plugged in to the middle one. or by middle do you mean the DP cat?? I've noticed you don't mention replacing the resonator mid pipe section, is there not much restriction in this pipe?

Jim
Old 31 December 2006, 10:56 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

There are three cats on the MY01 bugeye... up-pipe, down pipe and centre. The Downpipe contains the front 02 sensor (pseudo wideband lambda) and the rear 02 sensor is for emissions checking.

I'd get rid of the middle cat and take the exhaust straight back from there keeping the downpipe cat and the front O2 sensor. No need to buy new and check the for sales sections and post in wanted.

Change to a good panel filter and a remap should see you with 245 odd BHP (up from your 215 at present) with better spool up and torque

The re-map can also get rid of the CEL associated with ditching the rear 02 sensor

Does this make sense ?

Cheers

Shaun

Shaun
Old 31 December 2006, 11:16 AM
ian10
Scooby Regular

There are three cats on the MY01 bugeye... up-pipe, down pipe and centre. The Downpipe contains the front 02 sensor (pseudo wideband lambda) and the rear 02 sensor is for emissions checking.

I'd get rid of the middle cat and take the exhaust straight back from there keeping the downpipe cat and the front O2 sensor. No need to buy new and check the for sales sections and post in wanted.

Change to a good panel filter and a remap should see you with 245 odd BHP (up from your 215 at present) with better spool up and torque

The re-map can also get rid of the CEL associated with ditching the rear 02 sensor

Does this make sense ?

Cheers

Shaun

Shaun
is car is a newage and is 225 bhp standad so map as would give about 260 bhp
you can get rid of the cell light by fitting a resister on your rear o2 sensor (cost about a £5) which will clear any alarms,but you may still get overboost,(my sti8 did untill it was mapped)not sure that wrx would be any different.
Other option remove cat up pipe replace with magnex,panel filter ,and re map and fit your exhaust will cost a bit more but should give 270 bhp approx and be "safe" with no issues
Old 31 December 2006, 11:34 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

The car is a bugeye My01 WRX so came with 215 BHP out of the box

The TD04L turbo will simply be blowing out superheated air at high flow rates so best to exploit early spool up and low down pick up. 250 Odd BHP probably likely after re-map.

No need to get rid of the cat in the up-pipe as again TD04 not likely to generate enough hot air to desintigrate it. Mapping out the CEL is far more secure than a CEL fix IMHO.

The STi's were prone to boost spikes on de-cat before re-mapping but the smaler turbo on the WRX not such of a problem.

It all boils down to wether you want the car to be MOT friendly. If not bothered about MOT then decat from the turbo back, if you want to pass MOT then keep the downppe cat (either OEM or replace with a high flow).

Shaun
Old 31 December 2006, 07:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

how's about this

Cumbrian Scoobs Forum - 2.5" Hayward & Scott System (Newage)

would need to buy a back box though

Shaun
Old 31 December 2006, 10:04 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

or here

Subaru Impreza Drivers Club Forums - de-cat pipes for my01-my05 brand new

Old 01 January 2007, 05:40 PM
jimboturbo
Scooby Regular

Surely more than 245 - 250 bhp can be achieved with a remap when PPP can produce 265??
Old 01 January 2007, 06:30 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

My brother in law has a 02 WRX with a Milltek 3" decat and a Powerstation remap and his car produces around 270/270

Another friend has an 03 WRX with a Magnex 2.5" decat downpipe/decat first centre section, plus a Janspeed backbox, KN Panel filter and a Powerstation remap and his car is 280/275

Both cars still have the cat in the uppipe.
Old 01 January 2007, 09:46 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Jimboturbo

My apologies......I should have typed 265 BHP well spotted

IIRC the PPP for the early MY01 Bugeye was an extra chip and gave about 240 BHP...on a cold day....with a following wind....LOL

It's not all about BHP, what you want is a good spread of the powerband with the greatest area under the torque curve to give good drivability *cough* Bob Rawle *cough*

You still also want some safety margin against det given the small intercooler and hot air the small turbo kicks out.

Cheers

Shaun
Old 02 January 2007, 09:11 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

This is exactly what I did, got a MY01 bugeye wagon and got a second-hand prodrive backbox, a decat centre pipe, panel filter and just had a remap from Andy F. Whole lot cost around £800 and the car is in a different league now - so smooth and so much more ommpphh. Flooring it in 5th now just makes it leap forward as if it was in 3rd.

Can't recomment it enough.

Richard.