Notices

performance increase after ecu reset

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2006, 07:39 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance increase after ecu reset

Ive got a MY99 wagon with a full decat,STI panel filter,samco boost hoses and a ECUTEK 2 plug n pray ecu.

How come when i reset the ecu the car goes like Stink for about 20 or so miles then gradually gets well slower/not as nippy?.Do i have a problem?

Last edited by R5_GTT_Steve; 22 December 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 22 December 2006, 07:50 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

ecu is learning and making ajustments,Probably the advance multiplyer is pulling some timing. What fuel you using??
Old 22 December 2006, 08:13 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Shell V-Power

I would love it to run like that all the time,do i need to upgrade the fuel pump with the mods that ive got or anything else.Maybe its time for a ECUTEC 3?
Old 23 December 2006, 01:07 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is possible that you have DET when you reset the ECU. This is a BAD thing. As the ECU detects DET it removes ignition timing to protect the engine, hence your perception of reduced performance.
Try adding NF Octane Booster with the V-Power but really you want someone with det cans to check it over.
An Ecutek remap would improve performance and make the engine safer if done properly.
Old 23 December 2006, 06:46 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey
I think it is possible that you have DET when you reset the ECU. This is a BAD thing. As the ECU detects DET it removes ignition timing to protect the engine, hence your perception of reduced performance.
Try adding NF Octane Booster with the V-Power but really you want someone with det cans to check it over.
An Ecutek remap would improve performance and make the engine safer if done properly.
That does sound likely.

See if you can get hold of someone with Ecutek Delta Dash to log the car for those 20 miles to see what is going on aswell.

Really, after a reset it should get quicker. When you reset the ECU it will take out any learned advance and add this back in depeneding on the state of the engine, quality of fuel etc. This can make 10-30bhp difference depending on spec of your car. Obviously, it isnt adding this advance back, in fact, it appears to be doing the opposite. Get it to a tuner or someone local that has Delta Dash (or get it yourself) it is worth knowing before anything nasty happens

Someone may have one local to you if you ask nicely on here
Old 24 December 2006, 09:36 AM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

Same happens to my00 tek3, after reset feels like a different car, then after x amount of miles it loses its sharpness/urgency to go! BUT it has been mapped on optimax and I'm now using v power, could be the cause?
Going for another tek3 soon so we will see.
Old 24 December 2006, 12:46 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fireblade37
Same happens to my00 tek3, after reset feels like a different car, then after x amount of miles it loses its sharpness/urgency to go! BUT it has been mapped on optimax and I'm now using v power, could be the cause?
Going for another tek3 soon so we will see.
Yeah im wanting a Tek3 in the new year....
Maybe someone could arrange another group buy as i see there was one but its now closed.
Old 26 December 2006, 02:44 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R5_GTT_Steve
Yeah im wanting a Tek3 in the new year....
Maybe someone could arrange another group buy as i see there was one but its now closed.
you could always organise one yourself
Old 26 December 2006, 09:56 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

This sort of happend to me, but it was because I put BP ultimate in the car, lost ALL my boost down to about 3/4 psi, reset the ecu, car boosted upto 19psi again, then lost it - because the advanced multiplier was very low again (3.0), took it to scoobyclinic, they reset my ecu, I put shell v-power in it, drove round europe for 1200 miles and now its sound ECU Is still learning, its very important you dont rag the car while its learning, I drove about 200 miles before putting my foot down more than 25%.

Obviously just after the reset I varied the driving with full boost on/off etc. for a few miles, this also included 4 dyno runs.

Try reseting the ecu again, running some nice fuel through it, and take it steady for a while, should be okay then