Notices

Noise from WRX engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2006, 04:58 PM
gav525
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Noise from WRX engine?

Hi everybody, just got my first Impreza and not being to familiar with the engines yet, was wondering if you could shed some light on this?

First noise is a light ticking at low revs, like hydraulic lifters? Wasnt sure if it was the lifters or not?

Second is on at about 4000rpm, there's a whine similar to a wheel bearing noise coming from the engine. Seems to go away after 4k, but i dont know if that's because the engine is spinning faster and drowning out the noise? Do you reckon something might need balanced, or have i something serious to worry about?

Cheers in advance, Gav
Old 12 November 2006, 05:06 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The first noise could be the injectors, the second noise could be anything. When diagnosing and someone says it is making this noise it is very difficult to do without actually hearing the particular noise. For example I had what I thought was a problem when my engine started sounding like a steam engine. Having talked to a number of people a few opinions were put forward. None gave the right answer, it was only when my mapper heard the noise on the rollers that it was found to be turbo surge as the waste gate opens and closes rapidly. Find a decent local tuner and take it along and ask their advise then post it up to see if anyone else has had the same.
Old 12 November 2006, 06:04 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Ticking noise is prob the boost solenoid, see if it is coming from the drivers side front strut area. Don't know about the second?
Old 12 November 2006, 06:40 PM
hull sti
Scooby Regular

thst noise will be the injectors there a bit noisy on imprezas the second could be ur timing belt pulley or one of them could be alternator tho or power steering pump 1st things id check is the things that are belt diven idler pulleys etc.
Old 12 November 2006, 07:06 PM
gav525
Scooby Regular

OK cheers lads. It's booked into East Coast Customs on the 30th for Rolling Road plus health check just so i know for sure if the engine's good and healthy.

Is there anyway of making the injectors quieter or would i have to replace them?

Cheers, Gav