Notices

Up Pipes,Down Pipes,Flexi Pipes....What Difference??

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2006, 10:28 AM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up Pipes,Down Pipes,Flexi Pipes....What Difference??

Ok,

I have a 2000 model Classic Turbo which i have recently bought and fitted a Stainless Back Box and Centre Decat to,which i have to say made quite a difference,but i have been looking(mainly on ebay) and seen Decat Down Pipes,Flexi Up Pipes and other such items and i want to know what they are,if they will add to the performance,if i need all of them or if they are the same things,but with different descriptions.

The exhaust that i already have i wanted because i did not want anything overly loud,but having lived with it for a couple of weeks,i would not mind it being a little louder,so will any of the above make this happen,and if not,and also if the above will not add anything to the performance,what is a good system to replace what i already have to add a little more noise without being too OTT.

Cheers in advance
Old 29 October 2006, 10:45 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Classics there are two cats, one in the centre section (which you've done away with) and one in the down pipe. On New Age cars there is also a cat in the up pipe... you wont need to worry about upipes, flexi or not - its not applicable to your car.

Anyway a de cat down pipe will increase the noise slighty and you will hear the turbo spolling up as its no longer muffled by the cat (which is nice ).

Obviously some power increase will be achieved, but no more than a few bhp... a full de cat can add upto about 20bhp, but full potential of this power increase would only be achieved thru an ECU piggy back or even a re map, but its not worth forking out for IMO. Re maps cost in the region of £700... piggy back systems are a bit cheaper, but unless your doing a few more power mods I wouldnt recommend it simple on a de cat.

Hope this makes sense of things
Old 29 October 2006, 03:38 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

So,should i leave the front cat on then and just go for a remap instead?

Ecutek seems to be the only remap for these Scoobs though,is that right,or is that just the one that most people go for??

I know from past cars that i have had remapped it does make quite a difference,but the Ecutek seems expensive in comparison to remaps i have had done previously,as most of those have been around the £350-£450 mark,but the Ecutec is about £600-£650 inc vat..................what else,if anything do you get for your money???
Old 29 October 2006, 06:31 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Even with a full de cat I do not suggest a re map, its unnecessary. You can run a full de cat on a Classic without needing a re map
Old 30 October 2006, 12:28 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Yes you can run a decat without a map but you will see no benefit.

It depends what maps you have had done before. If it is standard then a decat and remap will give you BIG gains. A decat on its own will make hardly any difference.
Old 30 October 2006, 10:00 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Re maps are expensive and you could get by on a 'piggy back' ECU which is alot cheaper and will do the job of power gain just the same.

It only available to do on Classics, New Age dont have the 'piggy back' option and you will need a re map circa £750
Old 30 October 2006, 11:11 AM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

I thought that the Classics before '99 had to be done differently,but that from '99 onwards the only option is a remap??

If not,where can i get a piggyback ecu,and is it basically a tuning box that can be taken on or off easily and quickly??
Old 30 October 2006, 03:29 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul2070
I thought that the Classics before '99 had to be done differently,but that from '99 onwards the only option is a remap??

If not,where can i get a piggyback ecu,and is it basically a tuning box that can be taken on or off easily and quickly??
You are right in what you say, MY99 onwards = remap
Piggyback up to MY98.
This is if you stay with the OEM ECU.