Notices

My newly 'finished' WRX project!

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2006, 10:31 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink My newly 'finished' WRX project!

Well i went to pick up my MY03 WRX from Tracktive this afternoon, having had Richard Bulmar work his magic on it.

BEFORE:- Decat uppipe, TSL Thundercat downpipe, decat centre, Ninja BB.
Standard TD04, standard injectors, TEK 3, etc,etc.
Rolling road confirmed 268 bhp and 266 ib/ft.

AFTER, TODAY:- VF34, 550 injectors, headers and uppipe changed and ceramic coated, AP clutch and lightened flywheel, Samco turbo hoses in that lovely blue! (lol)

Well my initial impressions are slightly muted as at 5pm there aint a ******* road in sight that aint loaded with traffic! FFS talk about frustrating!
And to cap that it bloody rained too. Pish!
Anyway, due to Richard's remap, the power delivery is that smooth its almost like it aint bloody there! Unreal, then you look at the speedo and jees, unreal.

As for the flywheel, i can tell a difference there for sure, and it aint a bad one either. Quicker pick up between gears, but obviously less engine braking which now my StopTechs will have to pick up! lol.

Clutch is lighter than before so that is definitely good.

Sorry to bore you all, but i am made up with this so far, and cannot wait till tomorrow to get out and give it bloody welly!

I know some of you hate this bit, but my many thanks to Richard, Gavin and nice to talk to Glenn and Becky too! I know where my future services will be done.

You aint saved yet ppl as when i have got used to this new power/torque i am gonna post some more about it!

Oh and i have to fit in a visit to Scoobyclinic's rolling road too.
I am sad but i have to see figures on paper, sorry and all that but i just need to see it! How sad is that? LOL.
Old 21 October 2006, 01:12 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

glad all is well

"My newly 'finished' WRX project! " - don't ask how many threads I started like that
Old 21 October 2006, 01:19 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

What bhp are you on now mate ?
Old 21 October 2006, 01:29 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Oh and i have to fit in a visit to Scoobyclinic's rolling road too.
I am sad but i have to see figures on paper, sorry and all that but i just need to see it! How sad is that? LOL.
Well i have roughly the same spec as yours

VF34
STi injectors
Full decat
Harvey Smith ported & wrapped headers
Remap by Bob Rawle

and my figures were 333bhp & 325ft lbs
Old 21 October 2006, 01:36 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to what you think of the mods. I'm looking for virtually having the same done to mine (in a years time ). Mines going into tracktive/carnetix next month for a front strut brace and geometry set up. Great bunch there .

A very envious, Wolfie .
Old 21 October 2006, 04:14 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
glad all is well

"My newly 'finished' WRX project! " - don't ask how many threads I started like that
LOL, yeah i think i am already kidding myself thinking i have finished!
The thing is, it doesn't 'feel' fast. Do you know what i mean? I know that sounds weird, but it doesn't. Power seems so smooth to almost make it feel its without a turbo.
But the extra revs needed for the turbo to spool is getting to me so far, i need more time to get used to that. If only we had VF34 response at the same revs as the TD04, now that would be good.
Old 21 October 2006, 04:14 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
What bhp are you on now mate ?
We are hoping for it to be 330 to 340 for both power and torque, but until i get on a rolling road i have no real idea
Old 21 October 2006, 04:18 PM
Matty_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Mines a 93 import WRX. Its 334.9 bhp on the Dyno. Whats the full spec under the bonnet and what exterior mods has it got?
Old 21 October 2006, 04:18 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28
Looking forward to what you think of the mods. I'm looking for virtually having the same done to mine (in a years time ). Mines going into tracktive/carnetix next month for a front strut brace and geometry set up. Great bunch there .

A very envious, Wolfie .
Not that you wouldn't so please dont take offence, but take the time to talk to them thoroughly about any mods. I cannot fault the way i have been dealt with, but my impatience did not help! lol.
I have spent more money doing things in stages instead of taking the time to talk to the ppl that know, and then doing it all in one go. My allignment/suspension is a case in point for that.
But you wont go wrong with these folk.
Old 21 October 2006, 04:23 PM
Matty_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Just a quick question. When i stop at traffic lights for example, i can smell a wift of petrol but i cant when i drive. Wot cud be the problem?
Old 21 October 2006, 04:24 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matty_WRX
Mines a 93 import WRX. Its 334.9 bhp on the Dyno. Whats the full spec under the bonnet and what exterior mods has it got?
I dont know what you mean by exterior mods, sorry?

But the spec is more or less what is in the first post above:-

VF34, ceramic coated headers and uppipe, 550 injectors, AP clutch and lightened flywheel, Samco turbo hoses as mine still had the crappy WRX plastic ones on, TSL Thundercat downpipe, decat centre, Ninja BB.
Tek 3 by Richard Bulmar. It was also NOT mapped to its limits either, after a chat and me listening to his advice, i believe it is only mapped at 1.25 i think, but that is the same all the way to nearly red line where i think (iirc) it just tails off. (again i may be wrong as i my memory aint superb!)
Old 21 October 2006, 05:27 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

1.25, i think im running about 1.4

Not that you wouldn't so please dont take offence, but take the time to talk to them thoroughly about any mods. I cannot fault the way i have been dealt with, but my impatience did not help! lol.

I have spent more money doing things in stages instead of taking the time to talk to the ppl that know, and then doing it all in one go. My allignment/suspension is a case in point for that.

But you wont go wrong with these folk.
words of a wise man, we have both learned the hard ( expensive way )
Old 21 October 2006, 07:14 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

1.25, i think im running about 1.4
OO, Sounds even better! lol. I shall find out hopefully when i get to a rolling road, them Dyno Dynamics print outs are quite informative if it is like my last one i had done in '04. I cannae wait to get there for that now, i just need to find the time.
Old 21 October 2006, 09:36 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Well i have been out for a drive or 4 today, lol, and i am getting more used to the delivery of the power now. Although i am still amazed how smooth it is. I thought my last Tek3 was good but this is better still.
Now, how the hell can i get the turbo to spool up lower down the revs?
Old 21 October 2006, 09:45 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

When i had my headers changed for Harvey Smith's wrapped & ported standard one's they lowered the spool up by about 500rpm so now mine starts to spool from about 2500rpm getting to full boost at about 3300rpm, but i see you have had your headers changed so i'm not sure if there is anything else you can do
Old 22 October 2006, 10:14 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I will just have to get used to it. I did think about the extra lagg from a bigger turbo, but tbh i never thought i would even notice it. But i really do. Everything now needs a lot more loud pedal! lol.
I think that is why i seem to notice it so much, its just the way i used to drive that is the problem.
I will relax once i see some RR figures, sad that i am.
Old 22 October 2006, 11:31 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

You do get used to it after a week or two. I had the same thing going from my mapped TD04 (which hit 1 bar@ 2500 and 1.4bar @ 2900..! Although it did start to run out of puff at ~5k) to the ported VF35, which I chose for it's earlyish spool. With ported and wrapped headers I now get 1 bar @ 2900 and 1.45 at 3300, but it keeps going strong all the way..!

Give it a little time and you will learn to drive around the slight delay and before you know you'll have forgotten all about the little TD04 and just enjoy the constant pull of the bigger turbo..

However, I am bit surprised though about the lack of urgency you're feeling when the VF34 does come on boost..? Yes the gas pedal needs a bit more movement, but IMO you should be grinning nicely when it's on full song. With the VF35 I get a bigger shove in the back than I did from the TD04. In fact, frantic is how I'd describe it once on boost..

If you haven't already tried this, try sitting at say 4k in 3rd and flooring the gas. You should get a kick up the pants. BTW are you running a boost gauge..?
Old 22 October 2006, 02:59 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jasonius
You do get used to it after a week or two. I had the same thing going from my mapped TD04 (which hit 1 bar@ 2500 and 1.4bar @ 2900..! Although it did start to run out of puff at ~5k) to the ported VF35, which I chose for it's earlyish spool. With ported and wrapped headers I now get 1 bar @ 2900 and 1.45 at 3300, but it keeps going strong all the way..!

Give it a little time and you will learn to drive around the slight delay and before you know you'll have forgotten all about the little TD04 and just enjoy the constant pull of the bigger turbo..

However, I am bit surprised though about the lack of urgency you're feeling when the VF34 does come on boost..? Yes the gas pedal needs a bit more movement, but IMO you should be grinning nicely when it's on full song. With the VF35 I get a bigger shove in the back than I did from the TD04. In fact, frantic is how I'd describe it once on boost..

If you haven't already tried this, try sitting at say 4k in 3rd and flooring the gas. You should get a kick up the pants. BTW are you running a boost gauge..?
I think we might be confusing boost threshold with lag here. The VF35 definately comes in later in the rev range than the Td04 (even so, mine is stronger lower down than with the TD04, might not be the case for those comming from a remapped TD04 though). But, when the turbo is lit it spools up pretty much as quickly as the TD04 and hits significantly harder and longer, even though it's been mapped to be kind to the gearbox. This should definately be noticable; as Jasonius said, frantic is the word!

Ns04
Old 22 October 2006, 04:25 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

food for thought

i guess your graph will look like my old one (red)-spec was

vf35 \ p18 housing ( same size as vf34)
aps tmic
4-2-1 manifold
550's

I was running 1.3 so you may say the I might have had a few extra ft lbs
I can not explain how much difference there is between the 2 specs on the road, the current "laggy" setup is much faster and requires so much more attention to drive

after the current setup was mapped I was convinced I had done the wrong thing, 6 months later I can say I would never move back and my thoughts of moving to a 2.5 has been strongly contested by a built 2 litre engine

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 22 October 2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 22 October 2006, 04:40 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius

I think after reading this, i am being overly harsh towards my setup. When on full boost, which is around 3500 (i think), then yes it does pull like stink. But again, being smooth it sort of tricks my miniscule brain into thinking there is nowt there? If that can make any sense? lol.
Will try the 4k in 3rd thing and report back.
Thanks for the opinion
Old 22 October 2006, 04:43 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I think we might be confusing boost threshold with lag here. The VF35 definately comes in later in the rev range than the Td04 (even so, mine is stronger lower down than with the TD04, might not be the case for those comming from a remapped TD04 though). But, when the turbo is lit it spools up pretty much as quickly as the TD04 and hits significantly harder and longer, even though it's been mapped to be kind to the gearbox. This should definately be noticable; as Jasonius said, frantic is the word!

Ns04
I am getting mixed up then yes, so threshold is when the turbo comes on song?
And imo, lag is how long the turbo actually takes to spin up? Is that nearly right?
So, if i am correct above, then yes i misled you, sorry.
I find it slow to boost to start with, as in, comes in later up the revs. But when i do get there, then yes it shoves like ****!
Old 22 October 2006, 04:45 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

food for thought

i guess your graph will look like my old one -spec was

vf35 \ p18 housing ( same size as vf34)
aps tmic
4-2-1 manifold
550's

I was running 1.3 so you may say the I might have had a few extra ft lbs
I can not explain how much difference there is between the 2 specs on the road, the current "laggy" setup is much faster and requires so much more attention to drive

after the current setup was mapped I was convinced I had done the wrong thing, 6 months later I can say I would never move back and my thoughts of moving to a 2.5 has been strongly contested by a built 2 litre engine
Thats a nice graph is that one!
I wont get anywhere near that, as i had it mapped to limits and not to the fullest extent it would reach, so after saying that, i really hope i get to the late 330-340's for both power and torque.
If i get less than 330 then i will be disapppointed and it will go back for more! LOL. (jees i am too busy looking at figures again!)
Old 22 October 2006, 04:51 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

As for boost gauge, i am gonna order some BF's from the group buy here, on Monday. Been eying these gauges up for ages.
Old 22 October 2006, 04:54 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Can't go wrong with Defi's

Old 22 October 2006, 04:54 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

fingers crossed for you - the graph is from scooby clinic so if your are going there 320bhp is what you have to beat
Old 22 October 2006, 05:00 PM
New_scooby_04

I think after reading this, i am being overly harsh towards my setup. When on full boost, which is around 3500 (i think), then yes it does pull like stink. But again, being smooth it sort of tricks my miniscule brain into thinking there is nowt there? If that can make any sense? lol.
Will try the 4k in 3rd thing and report back.
Thanks for the opinion
Hi Mate,

It's probably because the difference between off and on boost in now even more pronounced than with the TD04 set up!

The smoothness can indeed hoodwink you into thinking the car isn't as quick as it actually is. Check your speedo it WILL surprise you! It's a sign of good mapping that is sympathetic to your gearbox. You'll be running comfortably over 300 ft lbs of torque with that set up; quite a lot to ask of a gearbox that was intended to handle the low 200s, so bringing all the power in, in one big bang would result in another kind of bang before long!

Threshold- point at which turbo begins to spool
Lag- delay between pressing the throtle and spool up once past the boost threshold AFAIK.

Enjoy it mate; don't get too caught up with figures. Most people who get to this stage run between 310-330. Some like Jasonius get even more!!

Ns04
Old 22 October 2006, 05:01 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Granby Smart them are! I am having some of that. As i say it, put me down for some of that fcuka! lol.

WRX_Rich Just looked at a larger version of your graph and actually read it this time properly! Ere, how come you get the same torque from the classic yet more power, and yet the '02 gave you the same torque yet less power?
Surely the classic should have more torque?
(sorry, i am a real n00b)

New_Scooby_04 Yes i think you hit the nail on the head there. I have to say when i do look at the speedo i am in shock at how fast it gets there! So your post really does mirror what i am thinking, so ta for that.
As for the figures, again you are right. I said all this to Mr Bulmar about ppl getting wrapped up in figures too much, and here i am doing the bloody same!

Last edited by MaDaSS; 22 October 2006 at 05:05 PM.