Notices

another maff problem

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 11:02 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another maff problem

need help,ive got a v6 type r with hks mushroom air filter i know most people will say bin the filter but i dont think thats the problem.the problem is in the last 2 months ive blown 4 new maff sensors its costing me a bomb,iv had the car a year now it was never a problem until a few months ago when api changed a throttle housing for me,sinse then i keep blowing maffs i thought it was because the induction kit was lose or dirty so i changed the foam with a claen dry new one and tightened the ends up with cable ties this sorted it i thought i got the car mapped by andy f and the car was running great but on the way to santa pod last week i got through another two maffs,we were giving some all the way up the car was running lovely then i dropped into forth to overtake a car and it went again,now this was the maff the car was mapped on and we wernt going slow on the mapping.so we got two new maffs and went on to santa pod i didnt put it on the strip because i didnt know if it would go again,then on the way home in forth again going up a hill it went again (good job we bought a spare) please help i dont know if its a wiring or earth problem or just that the filter is lose,ive got coilovers so that doesnt help.can anybody help me please.
Old 16 October 2006, 06:01 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

anyone
Old 17 October 2006, 11:24 AM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

free bump
Old 17 October 2006, 06:10 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

all this knowlage on here and not one sugestion
Old 18 October 2006, 01:28 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Guys help him out
Old 18 October 2006, 04:33 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

I had an HKS Mushroom induction kit on my MY97WRX, and although I havent had any MAF sensor issues as apparently the MY97/98 mafs are quite robust. The induction kit was doing very little in the way of filtering, the ammount of dust I regularly cleaned out of the MAF housing was shocking. I have since changed my induction kit. The later MAF's are also prone to failure from vibrations passed through to them.
Old 18 October 2006, 04:40 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

right a bit more info,last night i went to one of are local meets its about 20miles away from where i live wasnt going partiulaly fast got off the motorway put my foot down in first changed to second and i blew another maff so now its getting to be a joke not a very funny one,i then costed down the hill to are meeting carpark lifted the bonnet and it was very hot considering i hadnt gone that far, im changing it back for the standard induction box can anyone surgest anything else i could try,wiring ect please.
Old 18 October 2006, 04:41 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

thanks bruce i appriciate all the help i can get cheers mate.
Old 18 October 2006, 10:23 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I've seen a car that went through a cloud of dust that was kicked up by the car in front (at Castle coombe). The car stopped dead as it killed the MAF sensor.
The filter.. HKS Mushroom..

Played with a car on the dyno as it was running Lambda 1 on boost, couldn't work it out (thought it was the pump to start with) Changed the Mushroom filter back to standard and voila.. proper fueling readings again.

I think you answered your own question.. change back to the standard induction box and fit a decent panel filter, It flows enough air for at least 400 bhp

Andy
Old 19 October 2006, 10:06 AM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

thanks andy that does answer alot its deff comming off