Notices

Refitting aircon bulkhead gromit

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2006, 03:54 PM
andynormancx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Refitting aircon bulkhead gromit

I fitted an amp to my Classic recently. I used the large aircon gromit on the passenger as a place to route my power cable.

When I came to use the gromit I found that it wasn't actually fitted properly. I was round the two aircon pipes, but it wasn't tucked into the hole in the bulkhead.

I have been having a problem where all around the ECU and under the passenger footwell carpet is soaking wet most of the time (with a nasty bad feet smell to go with it). I assume that the lack of a fitting gromit explains why the footwell has been getting wet ?

The problem is that I can't manage to refit the gromit. I have removed various pipes to give myself more room and used WD40 to lubricate it. The gromit just doesn't seem to be stiff enough to have a hope in hell of me getting it fitted and it staying in place.

Does anyone have any tips ?
Old 29 September 2006, 08:15 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

Use a length of string around it and pull the string through, like when fitting a windscreen, or, use silicon spray, works on rubber suspension bushes as well.
Old 30 September 2006, 08:44 AM
andynormancx
Scooby Regular

Do you have a description of how that works ? I can't quite picture what I would be doing with the string in this case (though I have seen it used on windscreen rubbers).

On a windscreen I would have easy access to both sides. In this case I have just about zero access to the side that I am trying to pull the gromit through to.
Old 30 September 2006, 10:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What you'd do is to wrap some greased string around the groove in the grommet, the biyt that sits against the bulkhead.

Feed the string THROUGH the hole, making sure you have access to BOTH ends and both ends are kept together.

Now push the grommet hard up against the surface you want it to go into, from the OUTSIDE, using tools if necessary.

Once it's there, grasp both ends of the string, pull gently but firmly, keeping both ends at the same tension as far as possible.

Voila.

Alcazar
Old 30 September 2006, 07:21 PM
andynormancx
Scooby Regular

Ah, ok. Sounds very much like a two person job. To be honest I have trouble getting both ends of the gromit up against the bulkhead at the same time, so I still think it is going to be hit and miss.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm off to drive to Italy and back for ten days tomorrow, so perhaps I'll leave it until I get back...
Old 30 September 2006, 09:02 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

The a/c grommet on my car is very soft and pliable, the holes for the two a/c pipes to go through are very tight but the grommet it's self pushes back into the bulkhead very easily. Have you had the evaporator out? how did the grommet come out in the first place? If the evaporator has been out make sure you've got iy back in properly and that the pipes are central in the hole, if they were slightly to one side that may be enough stop the grommet going in properly. Only other thing to try is a new grommet if the old one has gone hard with age perhaps.

In any case i doubt that this would be the cause of water getting into the footwell, might be worth checking that the drain line from the evaporator is properly connected and not blocked.

Kenny