Notices

Best way of mapping WRX

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2006, 03:08 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way of mapping WRX

I've been thinking about it for a while now and i want to set up my 95 WRX properley

I need to know the best route to start with as for the first stage i really just want it mapped for UK fuel (will this slow it down??!) and maybe a slight boost increase and just make sure it's running as it should.

Now do i need another ECU? Gems? ScoobyECU etc or can i just use my existing one? I was also thinking about getting a decat downpipe but as i've only got a Magnex backbox and the rest of the system is still the standard item would this be a bad idea?

Any advise is much appreciated
Old 18 August 2006, 03:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

your best bet for an ecu will probably be a power fc or a scoobyecu type chip (scoobyecu, scoobyclinic, ESL)

The power fc if mapped correctly would be mapped specifically for your car. This could be mapped on normal 95ron fuel and you will get a noticeable increase in power and the way it is delivered.

The generic chips, (scoobyecu, ESL) although they will still offer an improvement over standard and can also be set to run unleaded they are not mapped specifically so it will be quite a safe map which will be safe on most cars (if you see what I mean) The scoobyclinic one I believe is mapped on the rollers again this will suit you car and the mods that it has.

Personally I would go with the power fc
Old 18 August 2006, 03:31 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECU on your car is not mappable as such so you have to go for an aftermarket ECU. There is a selection of these available for your M/Y but the Apexi is popular.
As well as the basic ECU which replaces the O/E ECU, you have the option of an additional piece of kit, called a Commander. This enables you to access your ECU to make changes or adjust perameters or just to get a read out on the screen of up to eight engine perameters. eg rpm, boost, knock level, injector duty cycle, etc.
I may have one for sale for your M/Y. e-mail me if you are interested in it fitted and mapped.
Old 19 August 2006, 01:34 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm thanks for the advise lads...sounds like the Power FC might be the way to go but sounds a bit complicated to MAP etc???

Off to Mexico for 2 weeks now so will decide what to do when i get back!
Old 19 August 2006, 05:03 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan : Mapping is not something for the uninitiated. It only takes a little error to cost an engine so your choice of mapper is important for the survival of your eninge, hence your bank balance as well as getting the best out your mods.
Choose very carefully when the time comes.