Notices

Turbo inlet replacement......

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2006, 05:12 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo inlet replacement......

I've got a new silicone turbo inlet to fit, ideally tonight, as my standard one has split and is drawing in unfiltered/unmetered air. The problem I'm having is I can't seem to get access to the old one to remove it.

The main problem seems to be the power steering reservoir - I just can't see how it should be removed.

If anyone could offer some advice I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Brian.
Old 07 August 2006, 05:36 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

If it makes a difference - car is a 1997 STI Version 3.

Quick - it's going to get dark soon!
Old 07 August 2006, 05:50 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Undo the 10mm head bolts around the PS Tank lid. Syringe/drain the fluid out of tank. There will be 2x boltheads at the bottom of the tank. Undo these, and be careful when removing tank, as there is an 'O'-ring Seal underneath.

Hope this helps.

Ps...The Inlet manifold will probably need lifting free, to allow you to fit the new hose back under!!

It's a horrible job TBH.
Old 07 August 2006, 05:57 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Agreed, the inlet manifold needs to come off..however, you can get away without draining the ps tank by just unbolting the unit and moving it over to the left (drivers side). Maybe different for a v3 but thats what i did on my v6.

p.s. headers in the post tomorrow Brian.
Old 07 August 2006, 06:32 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - just going to bite the bullet and remove the inlet manifold tomorrow so it should be a simple job with that off. Wish it had burst when I had the rebuild - would have made things a lot easier!

Cheers Doug - I'll let you know when they arrive.
Old 07 August 2006, 07:30 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

Ive just fitted a silicone induction pipe to my sti type r 4 as the original pipe was also split, nasty job.
I managed to do it without removing ps resovoir, have also fitted inlet 10mm Carl Davey inlet manifold spacers and the pipe is still squashed between the inlet fannymould and ps resovoir.
the only other thing i can think of is possibly buying a remote resovoir and piping off a bug eye shape onwards, i suppose this is pretty straight forward?
Old 07 August 2006, 07:45 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Did you remove the inlet manifold to replace your hose? Presumably you did if you've fitted the spacers?
Old 07 August 2006, 07:50 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

Sorry, yes i did remove it, i also made my own parallel fuel rail
conversion at the same time just for a piece of mind.
Old 07 August 2006, 09:28 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Caution! When lifting the inlet manifold, you may find the gaskets can break up and split. Then putting the manifold back down and starting the car, air can be drawn in and run rough, because it isn't sitting flush.

I ended up having to replace both sides, which was a complete PITA.
Old 08 August 2006, 07:47 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Caution! When lifting the inlet manifold, you may find the gaskets can break up and split. Then putting the manifold back down and starting the car, air can be drawn in and run rough, because it isn't sitting flush.

I ended up having to replace both sides, which was a complete PITA.

I replaced the gaskets as well but had to fit 4 of them as the spacers are not an actual gasket, so one gasket had to be fitted either side of the spacer,
the good thing about the spacers is they have locating holes for the dowls in the cylinder head so it makes the job easier.
Still a pig of a job though
Old 09 August 2006, 09:32 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Started the job last night - it was getting dark when I finally gave in, so hopefully things will look more promising today. Absolute pig of a job - and I've accidentally poured water into one of the inlets from a water pipe that went on the rampage when I lifted off the manifold. Managed to soak up the water but terrified in case I've caused any damage (see thread titled "uh-oh spaghetti-o!).

I can't get the new pipe in without removing all the fuel rails, so I'm going to have a go at that later today if I get enough work done this morning. Need the car for tomorrow so stress levels are pretty high right now...
Old 10 August 2006, 03:53 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Well......that's it all back together and sitting outside idling.

Had to enlist the help of two very nice mechanics who gave up their lunchbreak to come up to the house and help me get it back together this afternoon - will ply with a couple of cases of beer when I get the chance.

If anyone else is planning on doing this mod, either for performance or necessity - I'd suggest leaving it to a garage unless you're very competent, or a sado-massochist. I've changed the engine in my car before, and found that not a lot more difficult than this was. It's a pig of a job, and has taken me three days. When I add up how much time I've taken off work to do this it would have been far cheaper to leave it to the professionals. Even once the pipe and manifold were back on - I had to cut and reshape the ends of the pipe to get it to fit - absolute nightmare.

Anyways, I'll stop whinging now and go take the car for a run...back shortly with a "swarf from my new inlet pipe killed my engine" thread - ho ho!

Captain Disaster.
Old 10 August 2006, 04:01 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed..